I Need to Review Frag Glueing Options again

  • Thread starter Thread starter AKL1950
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I’ve tried dollar store super glue , gorilla glue , reef epoxy I had problems with it killing the frag it was attached to .
Icy gel works great but a little hard to find

the small tubes of dollar store super glue seam to work the best compared to price . And I already have tons on hand
 
Just finished using 3 tubes of the stuff. I wouldn’t worry about it. I have a ton of pods, shrimp, snails, etc.
IMG_8131.jpeg
Nice! Good looking coral. What is it?

I’ve decided to give the polyplab grenade a try. Ordered it today. Since so many use the Gorilla, it’s probably just fine, but I’ll just keep mine in reserve for emergencies.
 
Nice! Good looking coral. What is it?

I’ve decided to give the polyplab grenade a try. Ordered it today. Since so many use the Gorilla, it’s probably just fine, but I’ll just keep mine in reserve for emergencies.
Tricolor Valida I think. If it makes you feel any better, my tang once glued his lips together after eating some of it. He turned out fine, weird, but fine.
 
Tricolor Valida I think. If it makes you feel any better, my tang once glued his lips together after eating some of it. He turned out fine, weird, but fine.
Lol! Now that’s funny.

Makes me wonder. When I used the Gorilla glue, it wasn’t to glue a Frag, but to kill an Aiptasia. Covered it completely with it. Could be my four shrimp found it, tried to eat it before it completely dried and died from glueing their innards. Never can tell.
 
I would say the Gorilla Glue Gel Super Glue was a coincidence. It is pretty much the only thing I use for gluing corals.

Scrub the rock where the frag will be going, take the coral out of the water and dry the base or plug (depending on what you plan to glue, give the glue a few moments then return to the tank and press it on the spot where it will be glued, lift and press the plug back down until you see the glue is starting to bond to the rock (some times giving a little twist can help) then firmly gently press the coral/plug into it's intended spot. I then try to press the base of the glue down a bit with my finger to help shape it to the rock. . . this isn't "necessary" but I think it helps (carful though, the glue will try to stick to your finger).
+ 1 Gorilla Glue Gel Super Glue works great and is easy to find
 
I bought the polyplab grenade. It’s been nearly 3 years and I always have an easy squeeze. I can’t imagine dealing with another method again. Don’t try to save what’s left in the little tube, just chuck it and open a new one next time
How many do they put in this jar, it doesn't say that I can see.
 
Gorilla glue is fine, I have used lots. The small tubes of whatever gel superglue are good for underwater. The large bottles get backwash and you have to toss them. Keep both in your arsenal.

Refresher from Jake, RIP man.

 
How many do they put in this jar, it doesn't say that I can see.
25 4g tubes
 
Gorilla Glue super glue gel. From day 1 in my 2 year old mixed reef and never a problem
 
Brs or polyp lab glue with tunze coral gum (the two separate tubs). I won't use anything else. Holds strong enough that tank inhabitants don't knock things off but not so strong I can't pull it off if need. I have accidentally bumped a few off but easily fixed.
 
So, I’ve been using a reef Epoxy and Coraffix to glue down my frags. Works really good. A little Coraffix on the plug, squish on the epoxy, little more Coraffix on the epoxy then twist it onto the rock. Takes a pretty big snail or urchin to dislodge it.

The problem is the Coraffix. I only get about two to three uses out of a tube and it gets to the point I can’t get it out of the tube which wastes 90% of it. Not sure if I’m not cleaning it properly when I put it away, or it’s just the product sets in the tube once it’s opened.

I’ve tried the smaller tubes of Gorilla glue gel, but experienced a disaster. Within two days of using the Gorilla Glue Gel, I had four shrimp die. Two skunk and two fire shrimp. One skunk shrimp survived. Don’t know if that was cause and affect from the glue or just coincidence, but afraid to use it now.

What are some other experienced safe glues that everybody has used and really like? I’m looking for options. I only have a dislodged Frag about every other month, so I don’t use it very often And hate to waste so much.

Jetson
Glue master is the best. super thick 1500 cpc same glue used for gluing all rocks structures.
 
I use ICP frag glue or holdfast putty
 
I did my aquascape in summer of 21 with dollar store glue and dry rock sand. Since then I’ve used the gel and the instant ocean green epoxy.
Works for me…
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top