I really hope its not what i think it is...

  • Thread starter Thread starter LE0
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

LE0

High end Collector
View Badges
Joined
Oct 28, 2014
Messages
386
Reaction score
313
Location
CT
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wednesday morning as i came home from work I went to my fish room and saw white circles on my red planet first thing I thought of was aefw. I wanted to see if anything else would happen the next day so I waited before removing the red planet from the rock and bayer dipping it. All of my sps are fine and I inspected my frags and nothing It's only my red planet. I need a second opinion before i start to do anything. Furthermore, walking in to my room this morning i saw it had gotten worse.


Wednesday morning 7am
IMG_0358.JPG


This morning
IMG_0363.JPG
 
Looks like AEFW bite marks. At night take a flash light and shine it on the coral. Usually you will see the eggs this way. I had one sps frag in my SPS tank have eggs on it I culled it so not to risk my other pieces and it all turned out fine. Bauer is great but don't remove eggs. You can try scrubbing them off. Red planet would be a hard piece to cull idk if I could do if to mine. Best of luck!
 
Your picture made me curious so I googled aefw bite mark photos. When you compare online photos of aefw infestation , it seems typically there are lots of distinct small oval bite marks as well as larger areas of destruction where there are cumulative bite marks. I have some difficulty evaluating your photo, nonetheless for an apparent infestation, there are no "oval" bite marks per se. So I'm not quite convinced as to what those white marks are.

Not sure culling an infected coral from one's display is an effective method for treating aefw as has been suggested. It is possible but seemingly unlikely that removing an aefw infested coral would prevent a probable tank contamination and infestation. But who knows, maybe one could get lucky.

Looking for eggs as has been suggested is another good idea for aefw pest evaluation
 
I ended removing the red planet from rock using my bone cutters and I bayer dipped I did have something fall off but it didnt look like aefw and i put it on a new plug it'll be in a qt tank to see if this problem continues. I rather be safe then sorry so I took precaution. Ill update on the progress and hopefully it will not continue.
 
Those are not bites. Maybe some stn, but not bites. No offense but those corals got that burnt turd brown look, which would likely cause some stn.....
 
IMG_0373.JPG
well none of my sps are brown my lights are off and i took a picture with my cell phone before cutting it off
 
Sorry man no offense. That pic is rather colorful, but it is leaning in the rich color almost too rich color. Either way, that is not bites, 100%. Not saying you don't have AEFW, but those white spots are not them. Looks like points of burn or stn....

Similar to this.....look at the stn at the base....
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top