I think I decided on the Vertex skimmer

I have a Vertex 180i on my system, probably 160g total capacity. Quality of construction and materials would be hard to beat. Seriously heavy duty.

I did have some problems... I bought this from a friend that had bought it new, couldn't get it to work, and threw it on the shelf. I brought it home, disassembled it, and found that the impeller shaft was broken. Since I was not the original owner, and it was a year old, I had to pay for a new impeller assembly. $50. Used it for 5 months, with very good results, and it quit working on me. Pump bearings are obviously chewed up. Contacted Vertex support. It took some talking, but I got them to break down a new unit and send me the entire pump assembly. $200. Since then, it's been running flawlessly. Honestly, I figure we got a unit with a bad pump from the factory. Broke the 1st impeller, and eventually burned up the bearings... I would say it was never quite right. The new motor is way quieter than the old one ever was. Since my friend chose to ignore the problem and put the unit on the shelf, well, we didn't get it serviced under warranty. More my fault, and my friend's fault, than Vertex's fault. They did go to some length to assist me, even though it was not warranty work.

IMHO, my 180i is properly sized for my 160g system. I don't know that I'd put this on a 75g tank. Probably recommend a slightly smaller version.

I've had Reef Octopus skimmers. They work, but take much more 'playing around' with than my Vertex. Once broken in, it's truly been a set it and forget it skimmer. Clean the cup every week, and let it run. My old SRO1000SSS worked, but I had to mess with the water adjustment every week or so. Not so on the Vertex. Ran for a year without touching any adjustment. I raised water level in the sump by a couple inches a month or so back... had to adjust it then, but you'd expect that.

The friend I bought my Vertex from is now running Skimz skimmers on 2 tanks. Quality is good, though I'd still give the higher quality win to Vertex. He's had 1 broken water gate adjustment rod... no other quality problems in, what, 18 months? Similar to my old Reef Octopus, he has to 'play' with the adjustment on his Skimz every once in a while to keep it skimming.
I ended up buying this skimmer https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-leopard-sl183-dc-internal-protein-skimmer.html it should be here tommorow. I still have a few things to buy before I put water in the tank but hopefully I don't have problems getting this skimmer broke in.
 
I had an omega 180i for 2 years, good skimmer and as others mentioned hard to dial in, when my impeller broke I also noticed also the cord for the pump outer sheathing has frayed. The replacement pump with impeller was 150 plus shipping so i decided to upgrade to to the 1000xi dc deltec skimmer. First think i noticed is this new skimmer was tiny compared the vertex which makes it easier to fit, its much quieter and honestly after turning it off i am surprised how loud the 180i was, I also found this skimmer and Im sure dc skimmers in general easier to tune with both the gate valve and the pump controller. Performance wise, the new skimmer makes less skimate but its very dry (as i wanted) the vertex would only make very wet skimate and need to be cleaned 2x a week to keep it performing well. I think going for the skimz dc was a good move compared to the 180i, and i wouldn't buy the vertex unless it was on BRS black friday sale as they are way overpriced imo the rest of the year.
 
I ended up buying this skimmer https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-leopard-sl183-dc-internal-protein-skimmer.html it should be here tommorow. I still have a few things to buy before I put water in the tank but hopefully I don't have problems getting this skimmer broke in.

Good choice and that's a pretty good price. Break in is just a matter or time. Best of luck and now you just have to not look at skimmers for a while so you don't start second guessing you choice!
 
I have had about every skimmer you can imagine. I have 4 bubble Kings alone. I would say they are the best and easiest to tune in. But as for their sisters (vertex) not a fan. I have a 170 running currently. I have a octopus xp2000 and a vertex alpha 170 side by side in the same sump. And the octopus makes the alpha look bad. And the octopus is half the price. So if your choice is between vertex and octopus. Go octopus!!!! Unless you want to bite the bullet and get a king!
 
@Greybeard

If I may ask I just found my impeller is a little banged up and has a little rust. Where did u purchase the new impeller from?

Thanks
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top