I think i love tuxedo urchins

Love my tuxedo urchin. He is a workhorse and he has a rather charming personality. 20220130_193348.jpg
Ok is this a camera trick or is he going to Disneyland?
 
Look at this patch he stripped overnight. You go boy, keep on munchin...
Wow wish I had known about these before I started dosing Vibrant. I have a rock boring urchin that was a hitchhiker on live rock, he never touches the gha, just my coraline. And my snails or crabs dont seem to care much for the long gha.
 
Wow wish I had known about these before I started dosing Vibrant. I have a rock boring urchin that was a hitchhiker on live rock, he never touches the gha, just my coraline. And my snails or crabs dont seem to care much for the long gha.
My crew doesn't touch the long stuff but the urchins sure do.
 
Easily my favorite cuc members, and it’s not close. I have one decent sized blue one and 4 baby red ones, and all they do is WORK!
B4F72E78-34BC-43CA-A0C1-62811BBB17E4.jpeg CFE55426-FA01-4999-B82C-B5A244E3D41F.jpeg
 
Have 2, did have 3, but one just up and died the other day. No idea why either, as everything else in fine in the tank.


Anyways.... 1 blue tuxedo, and 1 short spine pincushion. They absolutely LOVE coralline. Much more so then algae of any kind. Coralline is like candy to them.
 
Ok, so the one that was napping all the time is not working his urchin butt off like a champ but the other one who started strong is now sun bathing and doing nothing.

Is 2 enough in a 65g DT with moderate amount of GHA?
 
Ok, so the one that was napping all the time is not working his urchin butt off like a champ but the other one who started strong is now sun bathing and doing nothing.

Is 2 enough in a 65g DT with moderate amount of GHA?
Are they small? Two adults will cover lots of ground. I put 2 tiny ones in an algea covered 30. A little over a year later I had to move one. 2 is a good place to start.
 
Are they small? Two adults will cover lots of ground. I put 2 tiny ones in an algea covered 30. A little over a year later I had to move one. 2 is a good place to start.
About the size of a quarter in diameter.
 
He'll double the first year. Mine aren't nocturnal. Graze 24 hrs. a day. Enjoy.
20201005_172341.jpg
I leave one third of the back glass to them. It looks a mess but the keep it mowed and it keeps them well fed.
 
I've had a pincushion for a few years now, super fun to watch and non-aquarium people find them interesting. Some things I've noticed, I don't have much coralline, he seems to work 12 hours on then 12 hours off, and protect any cords in the tank. These little guys can chew in deep and they don't seem to care if its rock or plastic. I lost a couple of pumps before I figured out what was going on, now I cover in-tank cables with 1/4 split wiring loom. He still chews it, but its sacrificial

Gary.
 
I bought one yesterday and he was moving all over the tank, eating algae until this morning when he must be resting somewhere. Hopefully he’ll pop up again. My conchs take time off, so hopefully these urchins do as well.
 
I bought one yesterday and he was moving all over the tank, eating algae until this morning when he must be resting somewhere. Hopefully he’ll pop up again. My conchs take time off, so hopefully these urchins do as well.
I guess mine don't work on Fridays. Haven't seen them all day.
 
My urchins don't touch my gha but I still love em. The kids really like the funny hats they wear
 
My urchins don't touch my gha but I still love em. The kids really like the funny hats they wear
What do they eat then? If mine did that I would show them a picture of the petco tank they were living in before moving uptown to the mansion.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top