I Think My Coral Shrimp is Broken

vgliha

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2020
Messages
33
Reaction score
54
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Banded Coral Shrimp that I inherited with a tank I purchased. It also came with a Yellow Tang. The Tang swims up to the Shrimp all the time BEGGING for a cleaning. The Tag turns sideways and tries to get close. The shrimp wants absolutely nothing to do with the Tang and will respond defensively trying to pinch, never a pulling in gesture. Once he's pinched, sometimes pretty hard, the Tang swims away only to try again a few hours later. Is this normal behavior or is my Banded Shrimp broken and being mean?
 
I have a Banded Coral Shrimp that I inherited with a tank I purchased. It also came with a Yellow Tang. The Tang swims up to the Shrimp all the time BEGGING for a cleaning. The Tag turns sideways and tries to get close. The shrimp wants absolutely nothing to do with the Tang and will respond defensively trying to pinch, never a pulling in gesture. Once he's pinched, sometimes pretty hard, the Tang swims away only to try again a few hours later. Is this normal behavior or is my Banded Shrimp broken and being mean?

I know some places claim coral banded shrimp serve as cleaner shrimp, but I have never seen this.. Coral banded shrimp ime are just scavengers. Not sure why your tang would behave that way. I have had cleaner wrasse's and true cleaner shrimp, and more times then not my tangs just get annoyed by the constant attempts at cleaning.
 
Coral banded shrimp are not cleaner shrimp. I think your tang might be the one confused.

I know some places call them a banded cleaner shrimp, but I have never seen one clean anything other then itself.
 
I have seen my coral banded shrimp clean my clown before. They were the first inhabitants of my tank and are very friendly with each other. Get a cleaner shrimp or blood shrimp.
 
Ive never seen a Banded or heard of one as a "cleaner shrimp", mostly I hear that cleaner shrimps/skunks are the way to go. Banded coral shrimp will attack fish and more. I personally use cleaner shrimps and they are great tank mates.
 
I have a fairly old scopas tang who lost most of his dorsal fin due to continually begging a coral banded shrimp to clean him. He never did.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top