I want a "Show Stopper" fish, need suggestions...

Csr1978

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 24, 2017
Messages
39
Reaction score
34
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok maybe not a "Show Stopper" but I'm looking for another fish to add to my tank. I want a very colorful, larger fish that would be the "main attraction" fish of the tank. Can I get some suggestions?

Here are the particulars of my 1 year old tank:

200 gallon Mixed Reef

Current inhabitants:
Hermit crabs
snails
cleaner shrimp
6" Powder Tang
4" Yellow Tang
3" Purple Tang
3" African Pygmy Angel
Blue Damsel
Royal Gamma
Pajama Cardinal
3x Clownfish
7 x Blue Green Chromis

Currently everything is harmonious and happy. I know introducing someone new is dangerous, so I am keeping that in mind. I really like the Red Sea Regal Angelfish, but I heard that would be a bad choice at this point (shy picky eater). A Quoyi ParrotFish (perhaps same issue)? I have a QT tank for the new guy to be for a while before going into the DT.
 
Regal angel will certainly nip or eat corals. I was actually gonna suggest the parrot fish before reading it was in you're thoughts.

Another suggestion, meleagris leopard wrasse. This is one of the more common leopards as female. But males are difficult to come by and look like they are powered by batteries.

Another thought a little more expensive... a lineatis wrasse. Colors are crazy and they get pretty good size. That is my nicest fish.
 
Is a Parrotfish is more reef safe than a red sea regal angelfish?
 
Quoy parrotfish is more reef safe than a rega,l the question is survivability. They dont make it long term very often.
 
How about an Empor Angel, granted I have never kept one in a reef tank yet but I may try soon. I have seen a few in reef tanks with no issues
 
Parrotfish come with lots of internal parasites. Get those taken care of in QT then they are a great addition, and hardy in my opinion. They are definitely not shy eaters, but can be shy when first added to tank. Once they are comfortable, they will be all over your tank. One question. Is your tank glass or acrylic. They can take bites out of plastic tanks.

How about one of the rabbit fish. I have a magnificent foxface. Beautiful fish.
 
I find most non-hobbyist like these two fish in my tank the most: harlequin tusk and clown trigger. Mind you I have purple tangs, regal angel, emperor angel, blueface angel, quoyi parrot, blue star leopard wrasse, chaoti wrasse, mystery wrasses, golden pygmy angel, and adult red corris wrasse.
 
We have a Princess Parrotfish (3-4 inches) and yes he was shy for the first week but got over it quickly. He eats any type of food but need a lot of algae in there diet.
 
Quoyi parrots are quite reef safe, other parrots vary in how reef safe they are. They don't handle shipping well, but can be hardy once they settle back down.

Regals can be delicate, so I would be quite wary of adding one with established tangs. They can also eat corals.

Emperor angels are pretty safe with SPS, LPS can be a different story.
 
Somebody made this point earlier, but be very wary of a quoyi parrot in an acrylic tank. Buddy of mine had one that scratched his tank badly. I have both a regal and emperor in my reef, and while they leave SPS and LPS alone, every zooanthid became lunch.
 
Male watanabe angel is a reef safe showstopper.
 
upload_2018-6-25_12-56-57.png
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top