I Want To Add A Kole Tang

MamaLovesHerReefTank

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2016
Messages
625
Reaction score
764
Location
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 125 g tank, I have a Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang and Sail Fin Tang. My LFS has a beautiful Kole Tang he got in on Tuesday. Would this be ok to add? Other livestock are 3 Chromis, 1 Pygmy Angel, 1 Cleaner Wrasse, 2 Clownfish, 1 Anthias, 2 Diamond Spot Gobies, 1 Cleaner Shrimp and 1 Peppermint Shrimp. There is no aggression in tank.
 
Funny timing, as I just inquired about adding a Kole with a Yellow tang, but I don't have the other tangs you have. Let's get TJ @eatbreakfast to give you his thoughts.
 
Funny timing, as I just inquired about adding a Kole with a Yellow tang, but I don't have the other tangs you have. Let's get TJ @eatbreakfast to give you his thoughts.
Thank you. I just found the thread with your inquiry. Reading it now.
 
In my 125 g tank, I have a Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang and Sail Fin Tang. My LFS has a beautiful Kole Tang he got in on Tuesday. Would this be ok to add? Other livestock are 3 Chromis, 1 Pygmy Angel, 1 Cleaner Wrasse, 2 Clownfish, 1 Anthias, 2 Diamond Spot Gobies, 1 Cleaner Shrimp and 1 Peppermint Shrimp. There is no aggression in tank.
It should be ok, being that it is in a different genus. But I would strongly encourage using a social acclimation box for a couple of days. Some specimens of tangs can be more intolerant than others.
 
A 125 is ok for a yellow and Kole, but pretty tight quarters for a hippo and definitely for a sailfin. Can make them more aggressive. I added a chevron (Kole analog) to resident yellow, hippo and Sailfin in my 265 (using a socialization box) and it got beaten up pretty badly. It survived, though I qt't it first. 50:50 IMO.
 
It should be ok, being that it is in a different genus. But I would strongly encourage using a social acclimation box for a couple of days. Some specimens of tangs can be more intolerant than others.
X2
 
A 125 is ok for a yellow and Kole, but pretty tight quarters for a hippo and definitely for a sailfin. Can make them more aggressive. I added a chevron (Kole analog) to resident yellow, hippo and Sailfin in my 265 (using a socialization box) and it got beaten up pretty badly. It survived, though I qt't it first. 50:50 IMO.
Sailfin especially, yes I largely agree although I overstock heavily. 6 feet is enough back and forth swimming but not too deep.
 
It should be ok, being that it is in a different genus. But I would strongly encourage using a social acclimation box for a couple of days. Some specimens of tangs can be more intolerant than others.
Thank you. We weren't planning on adding any new livestock until seeing this one. It's gorgeous. Still going to give it more thought but if we do, the quarantine tank is ready to go.
 
It should be ok, being that it is in a different genus. But I would strongly encourage using a social acclimation box for a couple of days. Some specimens of tangs can be more intolerant than others.
We still haven't decided yet. I've been reading up on the Kole and have come across some different posts saying their Kole tang went after their gobies or blennies. I have 2 diamond sand sifting gobies that have been in my tank for almost a year. I love these guys, they are always side by side and sleep in the same burrow under some of my rocks. I would be heart broken if anything were to happen to them. Our LFS says it is a 50/50 chance. II don't want to take that 50/50 chance. My husband still wants to get the Kole. Any opinions on this?
 
We still haven't decided yet. I've been reading up on the Kole and have come across some different posts saying their Kole tang went after their gobies or blennies. I have 2 diamond sand sifting gobies that have been in my tank for almost a year. I love these guys, they are always side by side and sleep in the same burrow under some of my rocks. I would be heart broken if anything were to happen to them. Our LFS says it is a 50/50 chance. II don't want to take that 50/50 chance. My husband still wants to get the Kole. Any opinions on this?
Having other, dominant tangs in the tank will prevent that sort of the behavior from the kole. It will draw attention to him and make it seem like he is trying to usurp his place in the hierarchy, so one of your other tangs(whichever is the most dominant) will quickly come to put the kole back in his place.

Besides, koles taking issue with fish not shaped like them is an outlier rather than the norm.
 
My Kole likes to dominate my tank, but not overly aggressively. It goes after the lawnmower blenny (similar feeding habits), but never hurts it. It never bothered my diamond goby. My biggest meany in the tank is my yellow tang. It is finally mature and not nice to others. Kole was one of the first fish added when upgraded to a 210g. So it has been around a while.

Biggest issue I see is the sailfin and the hippo tang becoming too large for that system. JMO
 
Turn lights off make sure you a keep kole different tank for week to get healthy if he makes the first 12 hours he will be OK they will fight but usually subsides quickly I have sailfin hippo yellow and naso and kole and they are fine. I have 300 but had same fish in 125 along with chevron and they were OK feed a lot they fight less when there is ample food.
 
My Kole likes to dominate my tank, but not overly aggressively. It goes after the lawnmower blenny (similar feeding habits), but never hurts it. It never bothered my diamond goby. My biggest meany in the tank is my yellow tang. It is finally mature and not nice to others. Kole was one of the first fish added when upgraded to a 210g. So it has been around a while.

Biggest issue I see is the sailfin and the hippo tang becoming too large for that system. JMO
I am hoping by then that I will have a much larger tank.
 
Turn lights off make sure you a keep kole different tank for week to get healthy if he makes the first 12 hours he will be OK they will fight but usually subsides quickly I have sailfin hippo yellow and naso and kole and they are fine. I have 300 but had same fish in 125 along with chevron and they were OK feed a lot they fight less when there is ample food.
The Kole will be going into quarantine for about 4 weeks to make sure it's eating and has no issues.
 
Having other, dominant tangs in the tank will prevent that sort of the behavior from the kole. It will draw attention to him and make it seem like he is trying to usurp his place in the hierarchy, so one of your other tangs(whichever is the most dominant) will quickly come to put the kole back in his place.

Besides, koles taking issue with fish not shaped like them is an outlier rather than the norm.
Thank you for helping to calm my worries. Although the Kole is beautiful, I love my gobies and I don't want to risk losing them. They have been in the tank for almost a year and I never get tired of watching them. They make one heck of a mess with the sand at times (last 2 days they are taking a lot of sand from under all my rocks and making a bunch of hills that sometimes cover my zoas), they are very entertaining.
 
Might be 2 long for him more tank cleaner has to have nori then mine have always sucked on powerheads tank rocks more then food put in tank
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top