ICP Analysis from the Red Sea (Sharm El Sheik)

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2021
Messages
2,054
Reaction score
2,275
Location
Switzerland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys

for those who are interested:
A friend of mine was in vacation at the red sea for diving. He brought some water and sent it in for an analysis.

U can check here the results :)

I find this very interesting!
86F2459B-B403-4C4C-A468-BFECC3C63B15.png
 
WOA. At 40ppt I had turbo snails melting within 24h. But to be honest I know the guy that sells them to my LFS keeps them at 28ppt, so that might be the problem and not the absolute value.

What I find very interesting is that all the elements are perfectly within the ranges when adjusted to salinity levels. Does this maybe means that is not really important the concentration itself but rather their relative amount in respect to each other?

also microelements are almost undetectable with the exception of V and Mo...
The part where NO3 is zero.. It would be interesting to know what's the accuracy of these tests, as there is no confidence interval included..
Any chances you have also a pic of the last page? the one with heavy metals
 
yeah that is very interesting..
I mean we know the red sea has a high salinity though. And yes, theres almost no microelements..

here the second page (mea culpa!)


to be honest, that was the expensive total icp test for about 50$

C52E2B75-B6F4-48DA-8838-EADEDFE2FDF3.png
 
I wish I could send in water from here in Thailand for ICP analysis but the shipping would probably be too much for it to be worth it
 
yeah that is very interesting..
I mean we know the red sea has a high salinity though.
Sure I knew was higher, but I did not had any idea whether the relationship between the different elements would change because of local conditions or just would be more "concentrated"
And yes, theres almost no microelements..
It would be interesting to have some feedback about this from someone expert in seawater chemestry like @Randy Holmes-Farley.
I mean I am sure there is definitely enough of them for all the processes involved with cell physiology for all the algae. Maybe their concentration is well under detection rates for such tests but still much higher in commercial sea salts.
here the second page (mea culpa!)


to be honest, that was the expensive total icp test for about 50$

C52E2B75-B6F4-48DA-8838-EADEDFE2FDF3.png
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top