ID? I don’t know what it is

Arricefe

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2018
Messages
591
Reaction score
1,039
Location
San Antonio
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This “stuff” started growing on a Dino egg frag I have and now is is growing on the plug of another frag. Any ideas as to what it is?
5756C326-409C-44CE-B1E6-79D70CFD8F58.jpeg
6D14E398-657D-4748-BE18-5FCEE09E0044.jpeg
0FF4551C-EB92-4198-A0E8-A3F1A0D3672A.jpeg
 
You’ve got Poccilopora, at least on the dying frag on a plug. Let em grow! They frequently bail out polyps and can grow everywhere. Some regard as a pest SPS, I happen to like them.
 
You’ve got Poccilopora, at least on the dying frag on a plug. Let em grow! They frequently bail out polyps and can grow everywhere. Some regard as a pest SPS, I happen to like them.
I think you got it! I had a frag in that tank and I have a colony in a different tank.
 
I'm not convinced that it's pocillopora, although I don't know what it actually is.
But it's true that poci's can be like cancer in your aquarium, metastasizing everywhere and harming other corals.

Here's a poci implant that appeared in one of my tanks (the only one I haven't removed yet, out of dozens.)
You can see it doesn't really look entirely like OP's. I put an acan echinata frag there next to it in the hope that it would kill the poci (like echinatas kill almost everything else they touch), but so far, they're co-existing, much to my annoyance.

IMG_7516b.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top