After having them in my DT for close to 3 years I found them to be absolutely harmless.
They do no kill corals! It is a pest, but not parasite.
I disagree. They stunt smaller frags bad and also mini colonies. I have video to prove that. I’ve seen it over and over now in different YouTube videos. Larger colonies are less affected. It also depends if they’re just at the base (minimal issues) or inside the actual coral skeleton itself (major damage over time).
The good news is that 1% Ivermectin works well as a dip. About 6 drops via 1mL syringe to 473mL tank water for 45 min to 1 hour smokes them. Temp control is recommended for long dips. I would nuke them in the tank, but I’m pretty sure they will be significant die off which may cause a mini cycle or ammonia spike. The dip appears to be very gentle on Acro’s. I’ve done a few now with no issues or death. The two Acro’s have much better PE. I dipped a Walt Disney and Oregon Blue Tort.
Bayer at normal dose = Fail
KCI = Fail
Coral Rx Pro = Fail
Exodus = Fail
Revive = Fail
Ivermectin (1%) = Win! See dose above.
Interceptor = Win!
A fish vet recommended 75mg per 30/gallons. I suspect this may be a little potent. Working out the dose now. Still doing some research. Also working with a Coral Farmer who just nuked them (in a QT) with Interceptor-Plus which contains both “Milbemycin Oxime” and “Praziquantel.” We think the Milbemycin Oxime is all that’s needed.
The problem is that some of these medications have poor solubility and are difficult and expensive to obtain in the US and other countries. Ivermectin definitely needs to be liquid form. The pill form isn’t soluble at all. Milbemycin Oxime appears to be the same, but I’m unsure, because I haven’t got my hands on it yet.
I’ll try to update this thread and my YouTube channel with safe recommended dose, and any results/effects after the Interceptor dip. I’ll tell you what died, anything affected, Alk swing, Nutrient swing, etc. Hopefully I get it worked out soon. Still taking with several Veteran’s, Farmers, etc. I’m about 99% Acropora, so I’m very cautious to do anything dangerous. I know multiple reefers that have used the classic Interceptor for Red Bugs without many issues even with systems full of Acro’s, so that makes me less worried, but it’s still a risk.