Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Thanks! I did a Google on gorilla crab and it doesn’t look like those pics based on color and non-hairiness in person to me.If its hairy it could be a gorilla. Unfortunately crabs aren't something often worth taking a chance with. Maybe you have a sump if you'd like to keep him, otherwise it may be best to remove it for good.
Pictures are not great but that is what I thought from the first picture as wellMaybe a sally light foot?
Closest to this so far, but blue.Hmmm- does it look like this?
![]()
Its a crab from the family Xanthidae. They’re also known as mud crabs and some of them are brightly colored, although the ones that pop up in the aquarium are usually more of a muddy color. They are also named: Gorilla crabs which are often confused with emerald crabs, which do also occasionally hitchhike into the aquarium. You can tell the difference by looking at the claws: many gorilla crab species have distinctive black claw tips that are not really seen on other aquarium crab species. The emerald crab, for example, is fully green including the claw tips.Closest to this so far, but blue.
what’s this?
Got it! So how do I evict him from my tank?!Its a crab from the family Xanthidae. They’re also known as mud crabs and some of them are brightly colored, although the ones that pop up in the aquarium are usually more of a muddy color. They are also named: Gorilla crabs which are often confused with emerald crabs, which do also occasionally hitchhike into the aquarium. You can tell the difference by looking at the claws: many gorilla crab species have distinctive black claw tips that are not really seen on other aquarium crab species. The emerald crab, for example, is fully green including the claw tips.
The gorilla crab grows a lot larger than most beneficial crabs. Mature specimens will develop a “hairy” appearance on their claws and even their carapace, which is probably what lent them their common name.
There are various crab species that can come with your live rock or even hitch a ride on corals. Some are pretty neat, like coral crabs from the genus Tetralia which actually maintain a symbiotic relationship with corals by cleaning them.
And then there’s Xanthid gorilla crabs, whose only goal in life appears to be to wreak havoc in our reef aquariums. They grow quite large and are omnivores that will eat literally anything that they can get their claws on.
Corals, invertebrates like shrimp, starfish, anemones, clams, even small and slow fish won’t be safe with a gorilla crab around!
Got it! So how do I evict him from my tank?!
Thanks so much for the amazing info!
Oh okay. I misunderstood your post to mean he was a gorilla crab. I’ll go re-read better. I appreciate your patience!you might not need to, it depends on wether it’s a pest or not
Thanks. Do you know the kind?crabs with black claws are bad.
I’ll Google that next. Thank you.I saw a pic that resembled yours, it was an ornate blue crab

