If you buy Everything off the shelf, Are you building anything?

I will give sound advice and be ignored and the person suggesting dose vibrant gets all the attention. I make the choice to leave the converstation. Lol. Let them do their own reef tank. They will only appreciate yours or mine more later after. My thoughts.
D
 
If you buy Everything off the shelf, Are you building anything?

For about 2 months now I have been building (by myself) almost everything (with Details and Drawings) for my new large system (225 + gal) with the exception of major components and posting my progress almost daily. There doesn’t seem to be any interest, what gives?
I think you have a great looking build going. There are a lot of great looking builds going and sometimes people do not always see them with the large number of builds and system updates being posted everyday. I post on my build to share progress, successful projects, and failures. Sometimes people reply and other times they do not. For me it is about sharing the journey. I would not get yourself down on a lack of interest in your build thread and be excited for what you have accomplished with your build.
 
I think you have a great looking build going. There are a lot of great looking builds going and sometimes people do not always see them with the large number of builds and system updates being posted everyday. I post on my build to share progress, successful projects, and failures. Sometimes people reply and other times they do not. For me it is about sharing the journey. I would not get yourself down on a lack of interest in your build thread and be excited for what you have accomplished with your build.
Yes I get your points, it isn’t really about my particular build thread and this has been a problem with the Reefing Community since the invention of social media be it RC or here! Reefing is hard work most don’t agree they believe you can buy something and it will cure whatever it is that concerns them. There is no magic potion or piece of equipment you can buy that will give you the perfect reef tank! Talking to people and learning the basics and building on a solid foundation of knowledge is key. If you don’t learn the basics you will always be chasing the newest best light, skimmer, reactor or antibiotics to make your water cleaner and clearer!
Just my thoughts...... people don’t ask enough questions ( other than what’s this algae or white spots on my fish or is 4 tangs ok for a forty breeder) and they definitely don’t listen!
 
If you buy Everything off the shelf, Are you building anything?

For about 2 months now I have been building (by myself) almost everything (with Details and Drawings) for my new large system (225 + gal) with the exception of major components and posting my progress almost daily. There doesn’t seem to be any interest, what gives?
Is there anything wrong with buying everything off the shelf? As Kalare mentioned, a lot of us don’t necessarily have the time … and if we are in a season where we can afford to have those things made for us, why not take advantage of it?
 
Is there anything wrong with buying everything off the shelf? As Kalare mentioned, a lot of us don’t necessarily have the time … and if we are in a season where we can afford to have those things made for us, why not take advantage of it?
Absolutely not! There’s plenty of fine reefs with complete Red Sea setups tank, stand, sump, skimmers the works. But IMHO a BUILD thread is to impart knowledge on others as to either DIY or how you overcame obstacles when everything wasn’t designed to be plug and play!
 
I agree.... unfortunately, for better or worse, YouTube has shifted these threads into more of a consumptive medium, instead of an interactive medium. I think it has “taught” us to also forgo reading for watching something, lol
 
I like to make pasta from scratch (flour + eggs), if I buy pasta off the shelf to cook something for ME is like cheating, but that is just me and cooking. You can still buy pasta and open a jar of sauce and cook some spagetti, two different levels of involvment of the same hobby.
 
I like to make pasta from scratch (flour + eggs), if I buy pasta off the shelf to cook something for ME is like cheating, but that is just me and cooking. You can still buy pasta and open a jar of sauce and cook some spagetti, two different levels of involvment of the same hobby.
And I’m sure your pasta is far superior;Happy
 
For me personally I feel both bought and diy stuff can be great and look good.

Whether it's bought or built, the living reef inside that Glass box is ultimately what matters... How that's kept, how that grows and how healthy the system is.. The look and feel of the equipment that runs will just compliment it.
 
For me personally I feel both bought and diy stuff can be great and look good.

Whether it's bought or built, the living reef inside that Glass box is ultimately what matters... How that's kept, how that grows and how healthy the system is.. The look and feel of the equipment that runs will just compliment it.
System health is the ultimate goal! Understanding that most of my knowledge stems from a long history of reefing at a time that things weren’t readily available commercially. If you wanted an ATS or a Big Skimmer you had to build it! There is no better way to understand something and how it works than to build one (sometimes it takes several versions to get it right)
 
System health is the ultimate goal! Understanding that most of my knowledge stems from a long history of reefing at a time that things weren’t readily available commercially. If you wanted an ATS or a Big Skimmer you had to build it! There is no better way to understand something and how it works than to build one (sometimes it takes several versions to get it right)

I do agree in understanding how things work cause when you have a component fail you can MacGyver your way and sort it, it knowledge that could save your livestock..

However not many people have to time and knowhow to diy.

I fall in the camp of diy what I can, and buy what I can't really build because I don't have the tools or knowhow..
 
Last edited:
My question is, what is your goal by "building something?" For me, building my tank was a big part of the hobby. I built my own stand, canopy, floating wall mount, LED/T5 light, 3D rock background, auto top off system, algae scrubber, 75 gallon sump, automatic battery backup, heater controller, all plumbing, and electrical. However, I bought the glass box. Does that mean I didn't "build my tank?"


It would appear that most people are not as interested in building things as I am. I spent hours putting together a comprehensive build thread with pictures and videos. About 10 people replied to my build thread and couple of people sent me messages. If I was doing it for the recognition, I'd be pretty disappointed. However, I think of it as a success because it inspired a couple people to enhance their own tank. I feel like that it was the least I could do to give back to this community who's threads and posts helped inspire me to build the tank I have today. That checks off my goals for having a living piece of art in my living room, and giving something back. It doesn't matter to me if others consider me a tank builder or not.

PXL_20210301_145623577.jpg
 
My question is, what is your goal by "building something?" For me, building my tank was a big part of the hobby. I built my own stand, canopy, floating wall mount, LED/T5 light, 3D rock background, auto top off system, algae scrubber, 75 gallon sump, automatic battery backup, heater controller, all plumbing, and electrical. However, I bought the glass box. Does that mean I didn't "build my tank?"


It would appear that most people are not as interested in building things as I am. I spent hours putting together a comprehensive build thread with pictures and videos. About 10 people replied to my build thread and couple of people sent me messages. If I was doing it for the recognition, I'd be pretty disappointed. However, I think of it as a success because it inspired a couple people to enhance their own tank. I feel like that it was the least I could do to give back to this community who's threads and posts helped inspire me to build the tank I have today. That checks off my goals for having a living piece of art in my living room, and giving something back. It doesn't matter to me if others consider me a tank builder or not.

PXL_20210301_145623577.jpg
Sweet build with some unique approaches! I’m definitely going to deep dive into the lighting/ TV arms for my setup! My last tank had a similar background, except I used Travertine Tiles as the foundation and I’ll be adding them to this build as well in some capacity or another!
 
If you build a car do you have to create all the parts too?

I think it’s just another level of building but building nonetheless.
this is debated in the car hobby too...where it use to be strictly do it yourself to create a hot rod, the availability of off the shelf performance parts has turned it into "build by checkbook"...buy a chassis from this manufacturer, an engine from another,send it to a body shop for paint and an upholstery shop for an interior....then brag how YOU built the car...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top