If you had to replace your return pump tomorrow, what would you get?

My return pump is already great, so I would just the same (Reef Octopus VarioS 4).

Though, I do have some weird drain issues and I'm constantly fiddling with my Red Sea Reefer's drain valve. I wonder if it has to do with the variability in a DC motor, or if this drain just sucks.

Ultimately, I would plumb a sump into another room, and have a loud, but extremely functional, external return pump or something.
 
Cade 1800. Varios 6 and core 20. Love them both right now, will see in do time which is better.
 
UPS units like the ones used for computers/servers/etc have already been proven as inefficient because of their upconverting losses. They are not useless but they won't run as long as most people believe.
I have run mine without issues for more than an hour. Right now they are a temporary solution until my generator comes online (typically 13 seconds).
 
Reef Octopus Varios pumps have served me well. The Varios 8 has been a champ for my return and I have a “back up” running my manifold
 
I have an old iwaki in my garage im safe keeping! Lol
I might sell it. I need to do a reef garage sale. Lol
D
 

Attachments

  • 20210407_125532.jpg
    20210407_125532.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 25
I have run mine without issues for more than an hour. Right now they are a temporary solution until my generator comes online (typically 13 seconds).

I use them in same capacity - have 2 units dedicated to the tank.

It would take me far longer than 13 seconds to drag my generator and get everything connected though but that gives me an hour plus.

My post above is meant to tell people who think these UPS units will run for hours and hours - they will not.
 
My post above is meant to tell people who think these UPS units will run for hours and hours - they will not.
Agreed you have to know what you are powering. before my auto switchover I used my APEX to shut everything but 1 return pump and 1 vortech. Then the generator was manually connected and everything came back. Lasted plenty long.

Also I would never run a tank with a battery UPS for the power. First they do smooth out power delivery but additionally they stop the flicker that is brown outs. Once again the NJ power grid sucks and the constant on./off that can happen is terrible for any electronics.
 
...

Also I would never run a tank with a battery UPS for the power. First they do smooth out power delivery but additionally they stop the flicker that is brown outs. Once again the NJ power grid sucks and the constant on./off that can happen is terrible for any electronics.

I think you meant without there.....and I agree.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top