I'm A Beginner With Lots Of Questions :)

Ririgina

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2017
Messages
2
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there! My name is Rita and I found your website from YouTube and love all the pretty corals you have to offer. I'm new to all of this and wasn't sure where to turn for correct information on coral growing and fish tanks. There are a lot of how to videos out there but I feel most of them contradict each other. So here goes my boat load of questions...sorry in advance!
I'm looking to grow coral but almost add some sea horses in the tank as well. How does the process work, get a tank (obviously) then culture the water before having coral and vegetation put in, add coral and let grow, then add my sea horses? Also I know sea horses like to be able to grab onto things so is there coral that is harmful to a sea horse? I know sea horses love going up and down so a tank that is vertically taller I'm assuming would be better? And lastly, I've seen where people get coral frags and put them into pod holders stuck to the glass to feed them and let them grow before sticking to the rock. Is this a must?
Again sorry for all the questions. I just want to be able to do this the right way and not hurt any coral or fish. Thanks again. :)
 
Hello Rita! Welcome to Reef2Reef!

You should take a look at this thread about how to set up a saltwater aquarium: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

Also, sea horses are a pretty difficult species to keep and have specific requirements in regards to water quality. I would recommend starting out with some clownfish maybe and then you can work your way up. Take a look at some good beginner saltwater fish.

Hope I've been helpful and good luck!
 
Welcome to R2R Rita. I too would recommend reading through the thread linked above. Best to gain a basic understanding of the hobby before making any firm decisions and before buying anything. There is a lot of contradicting information which is why doing your research is so important.
 
Welcome to R2R. Right now there is not much I can add to the above comments. Ask a bunch of question, set a budget, make out a equipment list, then ask a bunch of questions again:)
 
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef I would recommend reading as many build threads that you can, this way you will become familiar with terminology, equipment things that work and do not. There is lots of equipment for the beginner to capture your money and then add frustration.
I am getting into the BBQ hobby and went to lots of shows and trying to talk to people, that was not helpful, so I just had to dive in and start buying bbq and doing it.
So you will have to couple learning with practice, ask before you buy.
Good luck and happy reefing.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top