I'm adding a porcupine puffer to my 125...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
LOL... yes, I figured it out after a minute.

Currently, I am running 4 tanks of different sizes, so another tank is something I want to avoid.

I started the 125 because the pair of 40s I have became overgrown with corals. So I moved everything over to the 125.

Maybe my original plan to go with the (4) Valentini is the answer. My primary objective is to add to this beautiful 125 I've assembled.
Valentini, spotted boxfish, saddle and bluespot are better choices but they too are reef safe caution
 
Valentini, spotted boxfish, saddle and bluespot are better choices but they too are reef safe caution
Yes, I've had them in the past and they were not a problem to the reef. Unfortunately, the Oscellaris killed it off when they started exhibiting mating behavior.
 
And cuteness is WHY I picked this fish. But I didn't go through the trouble of building this 125 only to have it be destroyed.
I think if ibeere you I'd try my luck with the smaller puffer mainly valentini, you could try a leopard but I hear more success with valentini
 
BAD IDEA! Porcupine puffers are most definitely not reef-safe and a reef tank is not the place for one. They will eventually grow up and those who do keep them in tanks with corals/inverts keep them when they are small and then have a different experience when they grow up. A fowlr tank is the best environment with some medium to large fish the puffer can’t eat/nip at. Not to mention the impact on water quality from their waste/eating habits. I have one and while adorable he likes to eat live foods and chase the food around. Their natural diet is inverts.
 
Last edited:
Yeah... I wouldn't put a puffer in anything but a FOWLR, and even then I'd still hesitate on what kinds of fish it can co-exist with (mostly the other aggressive ones like triggers and possibly lions.)

Anything new added to the tank will get it curious and start its chewing, and anything digestible that can't swim away will basically be picked at (corals, inverts, etc). They also destroy the area they decide to 'nest', their primary spot will get very chewed up.

This is why I never got puffers, they need large tanks and those large tanks are dedicated to them pretty much. They can be entertaining though, closest thing to a puppy that can't ruin the carpet or bark.

___

Also would like to mention just cause something isn't 'reef compatible' doesn't mean its in the health of the fish typically. There's very few fish that are victums of coral, it almost always vice versa. Some fish like sea horses, nano gobies, and pipes maybe, but usually it takes a pretty large and powerful anemone to take something down through its slime coat. Even so these animals *do* deal with parasites, hydroids, carl, and natural chemicals from coral on the regular without going extinct, the ones least effected is the gene pool that moves on. Think about the coral food we use, they still exist despite everything trying to kill them.
 
Last edited:
In my experience they will eat anything that will fit in their mouth. Your fish choices will be limited or on the menu.
 
I had a porcupine puffer. They're beautiful and have great personality, but they are a challenge to keep. The will eat anything, and I mean "labrador retriever will eat anything" type of thing. They munch on rocks/corals and I was never able to keep other fish as he ate them. I tried four feeder mollies once, he ate them all and then died as his stomach exploded. I love the fish, but just not worth it.
 
I would say they’re great aquarium fish if you accept them for what they are. They get hated on a lot because people are always trying to put them in a set up they have no business being in like a tank with corals or small fish like clowns . Then they do what they’re supposed to do and people make them out to be these monsters. Yes it is a commitment to keep one but if you understand their requirements and know they’re not suitable for reef tanks and cute little fish they are great pets IMO.
 
so what route did you end up going? Asking because i have a rather large porcupine puffer in my 125 that will soon be getting the tank pretty much to himself. Everyone else is either moving to the other 125 or the 220. There are some crabs still in the tank with him, i would not try shrimp as they cost to much and frozen shrimp is 85% of his diet. Clams on the half shell cover the other 15%.
 
so what route did you end up going? Asking because i have a rather large porcupine puffer in my 125 that will soon be getting the tank pretty much to himself. Everyone else is either moving to the other 125 or the 220. There are some crabs still in the tank with him, i would not try shrimp as they cost to much and frozen shrimp is 85% of his diet. Clams on the half shell cover the other 15%.

I heard enough here to discourage me from buying a porcupine. I can see now it wouldn't have been a good idea.

I'm going to get 6 Valentini instead. hehe
 
I keep a 6” Porky in my 300gal with a 12” Stars and Stripes. The porky really doesn’t bother anything. Never seen him pick at the inverts or coral. He is a very active social fish out and about constantly. But he has a draw back. When he goes into feed mode he’ll swallow any of his smaller tank mates.
(But He usually spits them back out) lol
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top