Im done with ecotech who makes a reliable led?

Actually, most air conditioning units do not “remove” humidity. I’m not sure how a fan blowing air over freon decreases humidity. The humidity in my house is always high. I don’t use a dehumidifier.
I'm in Florida too. If the humidity in your house is any where close to 100%. Your AC is not working properly. Even in the middle of summer.
 
20191223_195904.jpg
20191223_200054.jpg


I have torn apart the light that failed today and have taken photos. Dry inside just like the last one.
 
There is some corrosion under the fan compartment where the power supply comes in amd that is the only thing i can find.
 
Heard lots of horror stories about ecotechs customer support, that alone sways me away from using their lights. I think I’ll go with a 360X instead
 
I will say they were quick to respond both times. Just a few hours. Which to me is efficent and very satisfactory.
However maybe they assume people do not look under the hood? I now have had both lights apart and they were not wet. In fact they are bone dry other than the spot where the power cable comes in under the fan area. To me this is a design flaw, not an error on my part.
On another note, i had the original kessil's on my tank for a few years. They were very good lights, however when i started transitioning into more sps they just couldn't cut it. I have not seen in person or used the 360x hopefully they have more power.
I have had really good growth and coloration in all corals with the AI's. In fact other than the recent issues with the 2 lights i have not had a complaint and wouldn't have complained after 1 of 3 failing. The only thing that rubbed me wrong was they insisted the lights got wet and then just kept telling me we understand, we know this happens, when I told him repeatedly that they had not. Well this time i have photo proof. I should have taken photos the first round.
 
Actually, most air conditioning units do not “remove” humidity. I’m not sure how a fan blowing air over freon decreases humidity. The humidity in my house is always high. I don’t use a dehumidifier.
Warm moist air blowing across a cold evaporator coil will cause moisture to precipitate and drain off in the air handlers pan...
 
Actually, most air conditioning units do not “remove” humidity. I’m not sure how a fan blowing air over freon decreases humidity. The humidity in my house is always high. I don’t use a dehumidifier.

air conditioner and dehumidifier work EXACTLY the same way..
Only difference is the ac has the "hot" side outside (or vented outside for a window unit) where the dehumidifier uses it to heat the now cold dryer air.
 
20191223_195904.jpg
20191223_200054.jpg


I have torn apart the light that failed today and have taken photos. Dry inside just like the last one.

If there is 'corrosion' - how would that have happened - unless it was moist - or had salt spray/creep on it? Note - I'm not saying you didnt anything wrong - it might be something in the 'design' of the light as well. But - corrosion does not happen 'by it self' in months.
 
Exactly. An air conditioner cannot remove humidity period. And my a/c works just fine lol. I put a new 4 ton system in last year. But it doesn’t remove humidity.

if there was corrosion, the light was wet. It might not have happened today, it could’ve happened months or even years ago. It just took awhile for the corrosion to eat through. I’m backing ai up on their choice to say it’s water damage and not replace it for free ;)
 
If there is 'corrosion' - how would that have happened - unless it was moist - or had salt spray/creep on it? Note - I'm not saying you didnt anything wrong - it might be something in the 'design' of the light as well. But - corrosion does not happen 'by it self' in months.

I used to run Ocean Revive LEDs and the fans would always get corroded after about a year and a half and stop working. Then the leds would burn out after the fan stopped. These lights were hanging about 12 inches over the tank (no canopy) and never got any water on them. The lights were just open enough that the evaporating saltwater from the tank below them eventually started to corrode the wire connectors at the fan. Since these lights (and the others discussed in this thread) are designed for use over evaporating saltwater, this kind of corrosion over a short time frame is indicative of a poor design.
 
Exactly. An air conditioner cannot remove humidity period. And my a/c works just fine lol. I put a new 4 ton system in last year. But it doesn’t remove humidity.

if there was corrosion, the light was wet. It might not have happened today, it could’ve happened months or even years ago. It just took awhile for the corrosion to eat through. I’m backing ai up on their choice to say it’s water damage and not replace it for free ;)
Whoever installed your 4 ton system should have put a drain line out to your condenser to drain water. That being said your AC unit removes humidity.
 
Whoever installed your 4 ton system should have put a drain line out to your condenser to drain water. That being said your AC unit removes humidity.
It has a drain line. It still doesn’t “remove” humidity. Does it decrease humidity a little bit, yes. Does it remove humidity, no. Houses will always be humid.
 
It has a drain line. It still doesn’t “remove” humidity. Does it decrease humidity a little bit, yes. Does it remove humidity, no. Houses will always be humid.

Humidity is a measure of the amount of water in the air. Where do you think the water that drains out of your AC unit comes from? It comes out of the air that was in your house, which means that that quantity of water was *removed* from the air in your house air by the action of your AC unit.
 
Humidity is a measure of the amount of water in the air. Where do you think the water that drains out of your AC unit comes from? It comes out of the air that was in your house, which means that that quantity of water was *removed* from the air in your house air by the action of your AC unit.
If it is taking water out, there was water in the air between times that the fan turned on. That means the house was humid. Whhaaatt. I wonder who would’ve said houses are humid? And it taking out a little bit of humidity is not completely removing humid air. Between the fan turning on, humid air comes back into the house though cracks in doors etc. it is like nitrates in our tanks. Sure, we may get it down through a water change but it builds back up between those wc’s. Hence there’s always nitrates in our tanks. Our houses are always humid ;)
 
If it is taking water out, there was water in the air between times that the fan turned on. That means the house was humid. Whhaaatt. I wonder who would’ve said houses are humid? And it taking out a little bit of humidity is not completely removing humid air. Between the fan turning on, humid air comes back into the house though cracks in doors etc. it is like nitrates in our tanks. Sure, we may get it down through a water change but it builds back up between those wc’s. Hence there’s always nitrates in our tanks. Our houses are always humid ;)

Are you trolling?
 
It has a drain line. It still doesn’t “remove” humidity. Does it decrease humidity a little bit, yes. Does it remove humidity, no. Houses will always be humid.
It actually does remove humidity. If your house is humid with the AC running, I'd call a local HVAC guy to see what's wrong. Sometimes I seriously wonder if your messing with others with some of your post, lol.
 
I’m surprised how long it took for that to come up. LOL. This is a forum about someone being mad at ecotech because they didn’t get their water damaged lights replaced out of warranty for free. He wants a different brand light. Who cares if ecotech has terrible or good service. That is not what the op needs to know. He doesn’t need to know about air conditioning. And I’m pretty sure he doesn’t need to know about what spectrum lighting to look for. He just asked for new lighting suggestions. I think he has other problems but that’s not my business. I recommend some new ai’s! Cook away ;)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top