IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 or Fusion 40 (Beginner)

Schlagel Bagel

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2018
Messages
40
Reaction score
18
Location
Wausau
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a beginner 100% and I am trying to decide on either of these tanks as their base is what I have room for. I first was set on getting the 25 lagoon;

Love the look of more shallow and would be easy on the wallet over all. Lighting should be better for corals sense shallower I believe? In general its what I really really want to go with but want to know if there is a better option.

The Fusion 40 Mini AIO is a good option too (love the all in ones to hide equiptment/price) but I just dont know if I will like the extreme height on this, but maybe it would be better for a beginner and I would be able to put more stuff in probably.

What do you guys recommend I dont have the money to spend $1,000s and $1,000s on a reef tank but want to get started and this is where I am at so far.
 
Welcome to reef2reef!!
I definitely would go with the 40 gallon because your not going to keep much fish in the 25 gal. It just allows you to have a better experience and more room
 
Yup I agree with above. In addition what a lot of people don't consider is it should be much easier to keep a mixed reef in a deeper tank. That way you can put the higher light corals up top and others lower in the tank. However the lagoon is a great looking tank in my opinion.
 
I have the IM40 and would suggest the IM25. Or, if you can swing it, go with the IM50. The IM40 took me like a year to finally get an aquascape that I liked. It's not that wide and is awkwardly tall. The lagoons tanks are the most attractive ones that Innovative Marine offers in my opinion. If I could do it again and get another tank I would have gone with the IM50.

Whatever choice you make, you're not going to be wrong. I'm being negative about my IM40, but its still a terrific product and it's been a great tank for 2 years.
 
Thank you for all the fast replies! I will continue to see what others have to say. The Lagoon 50 would be the best but defiently to much for now. I have stand that I like that would fit the 25 or 40 so its just kinda do i want a tall one or shallow.
I figure the the smaller will be much easier to keep clean but im a nooby so who am I to say. But like everyone says the 40 gives more options and easier to keep water parameters.

I really just want to have a pair of clowns and a cleaner shrimp and after that what ever else I can get along with chorals. But those three are mainly what I want.

I also was going to get the Fluval Marine 3.0 so im not sure if that will work with a deeper tank or not.
 
Last edited:
You're definitely going to want a different light. If that's your budget, I'd hunt around for a black box or something used.
 
If I did go with the 25 would that work for a while with any corals? I was told at the store should be fine for the easier corals probably not the harder ones. If not at all I was looking for something around or under $200 (be better) that has either an app or a way I program to change on its own if I wanted. Thats why the Fluval caught my eye.
 
actually just some quick searching there are probably better options in a little more of the $180 price range so Ill keep researching lights
 
Well I kinda want to go witht the 25 will give me what I am looking for for the time being and also will actually be affordable in my current position in life.
Setup

IM Lagoon 25
AI Prime HD
Hydor Koralia Evolution 550/600
Instant ocean reef salt
store bought distilled or RO/DI water to start me off

So here are my last questions before ordering stuff.

1. The tank now comes with two filter socks, I have read that almost everyone uses something different for filtration media along with one or two of the media baskets replacing one or both the socks. What is something I should go with to cycle this tank and get the first few fish/clean up crew?

2. I was going to use either Dr. Tims ammonia and One and Only to start the cycle, should I use biospira over one or both of these or something completly different?

I know these last questions dont pertain to one tank or the other but you guys have been helpful and know how to start with this tank.

Thank you so much!!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top