imagitarium refractometer! for the price this thing is the worst!

Robert McCreary

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2017
Messages
461
Reaction score
397
Location
central Cal
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd broken imagitarium refractometer. to me this is the worst the price is high and it seems to be lacking quality parts. the accuracy is untrue, the "line" gets uncentered and stuck by 3-4 degrees. its horrible and aint worth more than 15$ I trust the hydrometer over this refractometer! it works for about 6-8 months with carful use. this last one broke after 9 months the first one got rusted over and had a canted tilt line was always untrue. the 2nd one was not rusted but showed the same issues in the same time period. don't buy this junk!
 
You should look into the Milwaukee digital refractometers. I know they are not cheap, but you'll get a lot more time for the money than your current situation.
I agree 100% thanks for the recommendation, quality over pocket change is my motto now.
 
That said, I recommend for anyone using the petco refractometers to keep them in a case or on a shelf where they won't get tossed around. They lose calibration easily when dropped or knocked around in a drawer. I also usually put a little 3 in 1 oil on the metal hinge pins and wipe away any excess with a paper towel. This helps keep it from getting rusty. Also keep a bottle of calibration solution on hand for checking your results. Re-calibrate before panicking if the salinity seems off and make sure you're getting a good reading, don't calibrate with RO.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top