In need of the right tang

Michael Gentile

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
253
Reaction score
117
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a smaller tank at only about 60 gallons in the display. Its a mixed reef but I'm getting nuisance algae on the rocks and I cant get rid of it at all. I've tried different cleaning crews and approaches. I'm against dosing things to the tank to prevent or remove algae. A tang was kind of my last option. I know you need a bigger tank to hold them, but I was wondering if i got something like a kole tang, small of course if that would work for a year or so. I was hoping to hear some other experiences in this, i've done my research and it know it isn't the best conditions but it could work. Any other tang recommendations would be helpful too. I only have 2 clowns and a 6 lined wrasse as far as fish in there
 
Juveniles can live happily in a 60. Once they get big it'll need a bigger tank. My Red Sea 250 has 3 small tangs, all doing good. My yellow tang does the most work, eating up all my GHA. But remember to have a back up plan!!

image.jpg
 
a kole tang would work. the smaller bristletooth species in general are good, like the tomini or whitetail.

try to avoid the "I'll sell it when it gets too big" mentality, it's a setup from the start. you could stunt the tang's growth, get too attached to it to sell it, or have a hard time finding the buyer depending on the tang. plus who wants to catch a fish in an established tank...
 
a kole tang would work. the smaller bristletooth species in general are good, like the tomini or whitetail.

try to avoid the "I'll sell it when it gets too big" mentality, it's a setup from the start. you could stunt the tang's growth, get too attached to it to sell it, or have a hard time finding the buyer depending on the tang. plus who wants to catch a fish in an established tank...
oh I have no intentions of selling him, im eventually going to upgrade to a 125 when the funds are there
 
Juveniles can live happily in a 60. Once they get big it'll need a bigger tank. My Red Sea 250 has 3 small tangs, all doing good. My yellow tang does the most work, eating up all my GHA. But remember to have a back up plan!!

image.jpg
i always loved the yellow tangs but I think im leaning towards the koles and bristles, just for the size difference, youre aquascape looks good btw
 
What are the dimensions of the tank?

What kind of algae? Rabbits are actually better algae eaters most of the time. Bristletooth tangs are the smallest, but they really don't eat most of our problem algae like hair or bubble, but are great at diatoms.
 
What are the dimensions of the tank?

What kind of algae? Rabbits are actually better algae eaters most of the time. Bristletooth tangs are the smallest, but they really don't eat most of our problem algae like hair or bubble, but are great at diatoms.
40x22x18, and its diatom algae on my rocks. Rabbitfish would be awesome in the tank as well but I thought most of them were generally large so I avoided them.
 
40x22x18, and its diatom algae on my rocks. Rabbitfish would be awesome in the tank as well but I thought most of them were generally large so I avoided them.

Rabbitfish (including foxfaces) do get large, as do tangs.

With those dimensions, you are borderline for a bristletooth, although still smaller than I would recommend. It's up to you of course. Lawnmower and starry blennies do eat the same thing as bristletooth tangs...and don't forget about snails and others. I know you said that you have tried different cleanup crews, but big Mexican turbo snails and urchins really eat algae.
 
Rabbitfish (including foxfaces) do get large, as do tangs.

With those dimensions, you are borderline for a bristletooth, although still smaller than I would recommend. It's up to you of course. Lawnmower and starry blennies do eat the same thing as bristletooth tangs...and don't forget about snails and others. I know you said that you have tried different cleanup crews, but big Mexican turbo snails and urchins really eat algae.
i have a red tuxedo in there right now, he seems to want to clean everything but the rocks lol. i do have two turbos in there and they probably do the most work to the problem. I will have to look into blennys, Midas blennys always stuck out to me, maybe theyre the solution.
 
40x22x18, and its diatom algae on my rocks. Rabbitfish would be awesome in the tank as well but I thought most of them were generally large so I avoided them.

Wanna know the secret to getting rid of diatoms..?
Patience. Honestly every tank has it as It goes through a cycle. I had it on my 120, the 180, even the 6 gallon had a little bit of it growing on rocks and sand. Its an eyesore but its a part of the cycle.

Just give it time and it'll go away with proper filtration. Coral don't become colonies in a day, a calcium reactor isn't tuned in an hour. Very few things in this hobby have instant results.
 
Wanna know the secret to getting rid of diatoms..?
Patience. Honestly every tank has it as It goes through a cycle. I had it on my 120, the 180, even the 6 gallon had a little bit of it growing on rocks and sand. Its an eyesore but its a part of the cycle.

Just give it time and it'll go away with proper filtration. Coral don't become colonies in a day, a calcium reactor isn't tuned in an hour. Very few things in this hobby have instant results.
ive been dealing with the outbreak for 4 months now, ive gotten it to a manageable level but it seems i cant break this threshold. I think it was originally introduced from a zoa colony that was given to me. Even though i scrubbed and hit it with coral RX. im just looking for another route is all
 
I will have to look into blennys, Midas blennys always stuck out to me, maybe theyre the solution.

Midas are more swimmers and plankton eaters. You want more of the Salarius genus (lawnmower and starry) type blenny...Not that you can't get a Midas.
 
Midas are more swimmers and plankton eaters. You want more of the Salarius genus (lawnmower and starry) type blenny...Not that you can't get a Midas.
starry might be the way to go, beautiful personalities. I named mine ceviche because he liked to hide in the impellers of the mp40 when it was off
 
Midas are more swimmers and plankton eaters. You want more of the Salarius genus (lawnmower and starry) type blenny...Not that you can't get a Midas.
ill look into them, ill probably find a good starry or tailspot before i find a tiny tang that will fit my tank.
 
Another option to consider would be a Lawnmower Blenny. They're not flashy/eye catching like a tang, but they are major the workhorse of algae control for just about all tank sizes and they have a ton of personality.

If you're set on a tang, another to consider would be a Mimic / Chocolate Tang. They're nowhere near as aggressive as other acanthurus, grow relatively slowly and are diligent algae eaters. Mine is constantly grazing.
 
Another option to consider would be a Lawnmower Blenny. They're not flashy/eye catching like a tang, but they are major the workhorse of algae control for just about all tank sizes and they have a ton of personality.

If you're set on a tang, another to consider would be a Mimic / Chocolate Tang. They're nowhere near as aggressive as other acanthurus, grow relatively slowly and are diligent algae eaters. Mine is constantly grazing.
theyre very good looking fish but i dont think it is the right fit for my tank, but the lawnmower on the other hand could be
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top