Indo Red Sea Reefer 525 XL build

huangeffendi

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 21, 2019
Messages
10
Reaction score
13
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Just sign up with R2R after my 525 arrived this week. :D I've been lurking in the past months to get information from the forum and really help me on start my reefing journey. It all started after I have a stunning view during my snorkelling at Komodo Island during summer break.

I will post a progress on my tank here for documentation. Cheers from tropical Indo.

525 XL White with Version 3 sumps
IMG_20190821_174913.jpg


My friend kind enough helping me sort and cement the dead rocks
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.13.17.png


It will need some adjustment to fit the tank tomorrow
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.12.43.png


soak for 2-3 days reduce the cement recidue
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.13.41.png




Last but not least, the komodo island that inspired me to start reefing
**********************************************************
Padar Island
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.19.52.png


Pink Beach
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.20.12.png


Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.21.53.png


Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.21.16.png


Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.22.13.png


I saw 3 Manta Ray in one of the snorkeling spot, but didn't bring my Phone due to heavy current..

ps : I broke my Huawei Mate 20 Pro after 30 mins snorkelling
 
Wow, really nice! Love the aquascape and love those snorkeling pics too. Welcome to R2R!
 
So the LFS come this evening brought some other stuff and troops to assemble the tank.
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 20.48.07.png


at the same time, my wife managed to get the RO/DI for the tank
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 20.52.48.png


so while assembling the tank, impromptu decision was made, we decided to fill the tank TODAY! @@.. I haven't done a final piece of my scaping, glad I can join the last piece using epoxy.
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 20.48.39.png


Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 20.49.02.png


V3 Sums is nice, I thought I have to minimize the refugerium area - it fits the red sea skimmer (i use RSK 600)
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 20.49.13.png


Carribsea Special Grade & Indo Pacific Sand
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 20.49.30.png


Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 20.49.38.png


And this is the result of the last minute scaping.. notice how its different from the original design :D

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 20.49.51.png


got the ReefLED 90 installed too
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 20.50.03.png


I cropped the image, because the left side of this tank is total chaos.. wiring will be pita for several weeks ahead :D

Tomorrow we will start the cycling with Mature Kit..
 
Cycling start today, little modification on the head of stark (left part) to support it from falling down..

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 21.13.25.png
 
Scaping is sexy. I've learned good creativity can come from just winging it. Planning sometimes leads to over thinking and i think it couldn't have turned out classier.
 
Hi Guys, thanks for catching up... fast forward 3 weeks. I'm using Red Sea Mature Starter Kit for the cycling, so far so good.

I spent the first week of cycling find the right spot for the valve.
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 21.45.10.png


After 1 week, diatom is coming.
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 21.49.09.png


I start the skimmer on to start the break in.. and put some spare die rocks in the sump, But after 2 week I decided to put it away as its quite dangerous hitting the sump bottom in certain ocassion.
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 21.44.52.png
 
I use maxspect nano bio block for housing the bacteria near the skimmer. Since I want to leave the sump stable once the cycle finish later, I decided to put additional media (Seachem Matrix) in my filter cup. I saw some video on youtube, put the filter woll on top of it so it helps with maintenance.

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 21.51.58.png


In addition, initially I was using Crystal Bio for sump area, a well known Japanese in Koi hobbyist.
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 22.04.01.png


I took it out after a day, since it keeps floating even though I try to hold it using the dry rock. Even more danger, the dry rocks falling off. I later took out the big chunk of the dry rocks too :D

I bought additional Matrix for the bacteria housing, and utilize the empty area under the filter socks and another bag of 2 litre near the skimmer.

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 22.06.14.png


Next Thursday is the official 21 days of the cycling program. For confession, i've put small corals and some fishes in the tank. Coral has been a week now, and I have 1 wrasse with 2 clown fish. I know.. better safe than sorry, but I'm just a human after all.. So far they are doing great :D
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top