Infestation of Sand Tube Worms?

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
238
Location
Rockville, MD
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been noticing these tiny, light brown "sticks" poking out from the sand. At first I thought it was hermit or snail poop, but there were so many. I just did a water change and I attempted to lightly vacuum the sandbed in some small easy areas, and the amount of "bodies" of these worms was insane (and of course the siphon had trouble suctioning the bodies out). I cleared a little patch with a turkey baster so you can see just how many are in a small area. Are these okay? They don't seem to be bothering anything and I think I am the only one who knows they are there (they are not usually as out there as the picture shows, I blew sand off to show how bad it is). Just a sign of a healthy tank?
Here is before blowing sand off;


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
and after;


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Bodies that the siphon could not get rid of (Yes those are bodies, not poop);


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 
I've got them too. They don't seem to bother anything, although the do steal food from my corals on the sand bed if their close enough.
 
Spinoid (or sometimes chaetopterid) worms. Harmless, but certainly annoying in large numbers. If there is no natural predation these guys get out of hand, I have quite a collection of them myself. My yellow wrasse likes slurping them up like spaghetti.
 
There not Spaghetti Worms
images
they have no hard shell and cast their feeding lines out for food.
 
I have a friend whose tank bottom is solid with these things. Was thinking of tearing substrate out and getting rid of them. They don't cause issues for her but they are unsightly.
 
I've heard that these guys are great for your sand. Allows your sand to breath in a way. I've never seen a break out like this before. I wouldn't worry about it so much just another excuse to buy another fish.:xd:
 
They will come and go in numbers based on your nutrients. Otherwise no problem. Hermits may pick some off from time to time, and shrimp too. at least mine did. To me it just one more life in the tank that makes me wonder how it got there.
 
Could these worms be a good thing it that they help dispose of uneaten food falling on the sand, thus lowering the organic matter in the water and keeping the Ph lower?
 
I assume theyburrow thru the sand & attach to the glass?
 
So I have been noticing these tiny, light brown "sticks" poking out from the sand. At first I thought it was hermit or snail poop, but there were so many. I just did a water change and I attempted to lightly vacuum the sandbed in some small easy areas, and the amount of "bodies" of these worms was insane (and of course the siphon had trouble suctioning the bodies out). I cleared a little patch with a turkey baster so you can see just how many are in a small area. Are these okay? They don't seem to be bothering anything and I think I am the only one who knows they are there (they are not usually as out there as the picture shows, I blew sand off to show how bad it is). Just a sign of a healthy tank?
Here is before blowing sand off;


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
and after;


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Bodies that the siphon could not get rid of (Yes those are bodies, not poop);


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Do they leave little tubes behind? I have casings of what look to be from worms that I can see through the glass, but I have no witnessed any sort of movement from them nor do they cast a net. I wonder if these are the same thing. A lot like yours, the tank is healthy and they don't seem to be causing any problems. (Knock on wood)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top