INTERESTING QUESTION! *Can I use live sand from the Ocean?*

I’m not versed in these types of laws but I’m pretty sure the rock idea you have to have a lease and/or aqua culture license or similar otherwise if your stopped by FWC how are they to know where the rock came from or if it’s legal/illegal.
I suppose that's something to think about. You would have to explore your local laws. I imagine it would be up to them to prove in court that you're taking rock from the ocean, and I would think good records and receipts tracking your dead rock purchases would go a long way towards making that hard for them. That said, it's easy and cheap to register and LLC and as long you're charging and paying sales tax your business records should do the trick.

But I'm not a lawyer so if I were going to do this I would consult one for advice first.
 
This where are the Floridians are hanging? I got some jawbreaker cap I need to give away who’s near the Jax area?

I seen some mentions of FWC and after a being an employee there a few years back I don’t think you’d be given a hard time. (Pending the location) I wasn’t law enforcement tho, I was in research. I would imagine it’s not much different than shelling, I mean you could make the same arguments as if you took sand. Not sure about proximity to a reef though.

Anyway, I think it could have some benefit to help seed a tank with natural sand. If you’re real worried about contaminants/hitch hikers you could always just rinse it real well. I guess at that point it would only be because you like the look.
 
All good points if I was Jax I would 100% take some jaw breaker cap off you but my tank doesn't even have water in it yet.

Back in the day when I was like 15 years old and just starting out I would use the ocean water for water changes since I lived near the beach. Never had an issue with it. But that was before when I was only growing softies and LPS. I got to tell ya my LPS loved the ocean water there were absolutely thriving. That will probably be my approach to initially fill my tank.

All Im saying if you see a picture of my tank with a piece of rock with the most life you have ever seen on it like Christmas tree worms ect.. That rock came from the local fish store :)
 
yoo realistically it’s the way to go. LR from the ocean is filled with all the good stuff IMO. I’ve started my last two tanks dry and always run into issues with dinos and what not. Back when I started in the hobby I always used LR from the LFS or an online vendor and never had problems. Obviously you run the risk of potential pests and what not but at this point I’m over bottle bac and all that junk. Next tank I’m gonna give that Tampa bay rock a shot.

Lemme know when the tanks set up I’ll send some stuff your way. My 14 is filling up too quick. Best of luck.
 
yoo realistically it’s the way to go. LR from the ocean is filled with all the good stuff IMO. I’ve started my last two tanks dry and always run into issues with dinos and what not. Back when I started in the hobby I always used LR from the LFS or an online vendor and never had problems. Obviously you run the risk of potential pests and what not but at this point I’m over bottle bac and all that junk. Next tank I’m gonna give that Tampa bay rock a shot.

Lemme know when the tanks set up I’ll send some stuff your way. My 14 is filling up too quick. Best of luck.
I will for sure keep you updated with live sand and maybe some rock I have a build thread and my tank is almost ready for water. I have to glue my over flow and some piping its been a process.

Vise versa Im always down to trade some corals and such do you ever come to South Florida?
 
This where are the Floridians are hanging? I got some jawbreaker cap I need to give away who’s near the Jax area?

I seen some mentions of FWC and after a being an employee there a few years back I don’t think you’d be given a hard time. (Pending the location) I wasn’t law enforcement tho, I was in research. I would imagine it’s not much different than shelling, I mean you could make the same arguments as if you took sand. Not sure about proximity to a reef though.

Anyway, I think it could have some benefit to help seed a tank with natural sand. If you’re real worried about contaminants/hitch hikers you could always just rinse it real well. I guess at that point it would only be because you like the look.
Yup... where all here scheming on some sand.
 
Hi All,

I live in FL and have access to get real live sand while scuba diving in the ocean. Would y'all recommend this as I know they sell live sand in the stores. Just seeing if this is any different than that and plus it being from the ocean near a reef which is thriving?

Thanks!
You have to be careful, it's dirtier, I use to live in Palm Coast, first I tried the shells, no problem, then the rocks, a little off with my numbers, and then the sand, not so good, everything was off.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top