Iodine and Iron in AWC tank

ShadowR55

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2017
Messages
336
Reaction score
272
Location
Tampa, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be ok if I were to add iodine and iron to my automatic water change tank? It’s 100 gallons of instant ocean salt.
 
What is your thoughts on why you would like to dose these that way?
So I don’t have to remember to do it every week. Sometimes I’ll forget if I already added the iodine or not. If I can just go ahead and add 10 drops in my AWC water, I’ll be set.
 
Could work I guess but run a test in a glass of water first and see if it settles out or stays mixed
 
I think there are issues. Both are prone to oxidation, and this will be faster in highly dilute solution. So whether it is ok depends on what forms you add and what forms you want to end up in the water.

Iodide may become iodate, and ferrous iron may be one ferric iron. The iodate may be less bioavailable than iodide and the ferric iron may precipitate if not chelated.
 
I’m using Brightwell aquatics Lugols iodine which is made up of potassium iodide and iodine. And Red Sea’s trace colors Iron. I just added 12 drops of Iodine to my AWC tank. Decided not to add the iron since it has other trace elements in it. We’ll see how it goes over the next month.
 
It is better to test in a small volume
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top