Is carpet anemone sick or just normal shedding?

Digicop

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2020
Messages
89
Reaction score
26
Location
Rayne, LA
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this carpet anemone in my tank since February 3, 2020 (13 days) and I noticed the tissue and area around the mouth do not look normal. My tank parameters are stable. Any insight and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Should I remove from the tank before it gets anything else sick?

GRAY6004.jpg


GRAY6006.jpg


This is what it looked like when I took it home on Feb 3rd:
GRAY5858.jpg
 
Your tank looks fairly new. How old is it? Usually nems do much better in an established reef tank (6 months) at least.
 
Does it ever deflate? Has it dug into the sand? How deep is the sandbed?
The day I took the pic he deflated, but otherwise he is always open unless I feed it. He seems to be bouncing back. The mouth looks a lot better. The edge lying on the sandbed is the only part that still doesn't look good. The bed is about 1.5" deep.
 
The tank is 3 months old. I learned after I purchased it that I was moving too fast.

Granted it's only 3 months old but it's "do-able". Carpets do all kind of strange things. Mines' mouth does that on occasion and it''s a normal reaction. Now the color looks like it's stressing. So you're going to have to be on your game keeping parameters stable. Make sure it gets plenty of light & flow and you might try feeding it something small (thawed frozen shrimp a very small piece) Don't jam it into it's mouth but lay a small piece of shrimp out about an inch from it's mouth, it will curl up and suck it in. (see attached)
 
If you can add some sand to get the depth to 4" minimum, that will make the nem feel more comfortable.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top