Is Chrysiptera cyanea too aggressive for a community tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zionas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 6, 2020
Messages
5,700
Reaction score
3,569
Location
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I’ll already have Yellow Watchman Gobies, Pajama Cardinals, Ocellaris Clowns, the African Flameback Angel and Royal Gramma to provide the Yellow and Orange in my tank, I wonder if C. Cyanea would work in place of C. Parasema / C. Hemicyanea? Would the Blue Devils be too aggressive for a community tank of 70 gallons? Maybe even a pair of them as I know the males have blue bodies and tails while females have transparent tails. Would they be too aggressive with the rest of my stocking list?
 
Azure, yellow tail, and rolands are the least aggressive. Blue devils are supposed to be well.. devils
 
I don't really get why you'd want to swap the two tbh, if you want a peaceful blue damsel then I'd go springers. A different peaceful damsel that does well in groups and a nice blue is the alleni damsel.
 
The Springer’s I’ve never seen them available where I am and I don’t think I’ve seen the Allenis either. In that case should I just stick to the Yellowtails or Azures?
 
I completely agree with mattzang and would not limit your choices to what you have seen recently.


If I had to choose however I'd always go for azure above yellowtail because they stay smaller and are better behaved ime. If you could find chrysiptera arnazae then they are another great species which is a mix of the two colour variations (they were first described as chrysiptera cf. parasema, so might still be sold under that).
 
Last edited:
These are my fav, chrysiptera arnazae but they are not as peaceful as folks make out. I have 3 they can be as angry as the next fish!
images.jpg
 
I have a single Talbots Damsel in my 155. Other than the occasional standoff with my Green Chromis, he is only slightly aggressive when any other fish get too close to his pvc pipe I put in for him.
Tank mates are x2 C. nahackyi, x2 A. neoguinaicus, x1 P. diacanthus, x2 S. ramosus, a pair of clowns, C. viridis, x2 A. randalli, S. unimaculatus, x3 bimaculatus, and x3 w. triocellata.
 
What about blue reef chromis

lg_80652_Blue_Reef_Chromis.jpg
 
Got 7 of these coming friday!!!!
 
I have never seen a Blue Reef Chromis in my part of the world! (Asia)

The only Atlantic fish we get with some regularity is the Royal Gramma. Sometimes we get Blackcap Basslets but other than that Atlantic / Western Hemisphere species are few and far between here.
 
Wow that’s a LOT of pairs and trios! Awesome! I personally plan to do a YWG pair with a single Tiger Pistol for my tank. How did you manage to pair all those fish? I assume your 155 is a 6-foot tank? Your stocking approach is somewhat similar to mine. Many small fish plus a couple of bigger fish.

The Nahackyi’s dwarf angels must be pretty darn rare.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top