is distilled water ok for a reef tank ?

RO DI water is distilled. Are you talking about store bought distilled water by the jug? If so just check every jug. A lot of the water at supermarkets don't test as clean as most would like.
 
I used bottled distilled in the beginning of my tank and had terrible algae problems. I purchased a 4 stage 75gpd ro/di from bulk reef supply and will never let that distilled algae fuel back in my tank.
 
I have some distilled water on hand in case I run out of ro and need it right away.
 
I always use distilled water. It's also deionized, at least according to it's label. I've not had algae problems.

I'd prefer to use RO/DI water but live in an apartment.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
 
RO/DI is not distilled water but they are similar quality, just treated with a different process. Either is a good choice but if you have to purchase water Distilled is usually easier to find than RO/DI.
 
I've heard that distilled can pick up copper from the distilling process, depending if they use copper pipes or not...not sure if that's true or not. I imagine if its zero TDS you should be fine.
 
In general copper has not been used in water distillation units for decades, now they are all glass or epoxy lined exotic metals like titanium and high grade stainless. If it is 0 TDS you can be pretty sure it is safe, thats about the only way we have of testing ultrapure waters other than conductivity or resistivity which really are about the same thing only more accurate than TDS.
 
Cheaper is the refill water available at Walmart and many stores. It is in essence RO/DI water which is under .40 per gallon and pure. Just make sure the containers are clean or had water in them only- NOT milk or juices.
 
The only thing really different between RODI and distilled water is the process used.
 
Most vending machines are RO only, maybe with UV which doesn't add any value for a reef. I rarely see a RO/DI vending machine since most are used for drinking water where TDS actually makes the water taste good unlike a reef where TDS is the enemy.
The other problem with vending machines in most places is they are not regulated by health authorities so you are at the mercy of the vendor. TDS is considered an asthetic and not a health risk so the machines are usually only inspected to ensure they deliver a full gallon for your quarter, not for quality.
 
I buy distilled/DI water in sealed jugs. It's not cheap, at nearly a dollar a gallon.

The label reads: "Prepared by: Steam distillation, plus De - ionization and Micro Filtration, Sodium and Mineral Free. Ozone Protected." (The capital letters are all theirs.)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
 
The more pretreatment they do before the distillation ie microfiltration and/or deionization, the longer they can run the still between scheduled cleaning and descaling.
 
I use mostly Poland Springs Distilled (sometimes grocery brand when they are out) and supplement with RO from kitchen as top off. (RO only has 3 gallon reserve tank.) No problems so far with corals, inverts, fish at about 6 months with new set up. Total volume with sump about 80g.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top