Is expired dry phytoplankton safe to use?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ezreal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Ezreal

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2019
Messages
188
Reaction score
166
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title sais it all. I got some powdered phyto that's expired and I'm wondering if it's safe to feed to my inverts.

It doesn't stink any more than regular dry phytoplankton does and it's not mouldy or anything... it's at least 2 years expired though.
 
Some may use it and that's cool.

I would not. IMHO it would come close to pollution at this point.

Flog me if Y'all like.
 
I have a jar of expired coral frenzy that I still use. Haven't seen any issues at all, and coral still react the same as they do for fresh stuff. It can't have any more nutrients than when it started. not sure what might happen to dry stuff that would make it expire. perhaps the nutrients are breaking down some and could be a little less effective? I'd try it and see how it works. If it doesn't seem like it's gone bad in anyway I think it's be safe to at least try.

Next time I get coral food I guess I'll jsut have to feed more often. I do have a large tank now, so shouldn't be an issue using up the food before it expires any more.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top