Is Gorilla Glue good for glueing frags?

I'm assuming you mean Gorilla brand "Super glue" (cyanoacrylate)? I would think that would be fine. However, the original "Gorilla glue" is a foaming polyurethane adhesive. I don't think you would want to use that.
 
"gorilla glue" is ambiguous. They make various types of glue. Cyanoacrylate is suitable. The original "gorilla" glue is single component polyurethane. It is not likely going to be easy to use. It (single component polyurethane glue) will foam when introduced to water. This makes a mess and weakens the bond.
 
FWIW - I used to work with single and plural component polyurethane and polyureas... many millions of pounds of the stuff.. I am sensitized (allergic) now.
 
I bought a 4-pack of Gorilla Glue gel (Cyanoacrylate) recently to save a few bucks and I felt pretty strongly that the glue was terrible and I will never use it again.

First, the dropper was awful, it was difficult to get the glue to come out and took a look of unnecessary effort. Also, the gel wasn't consistent, I would often get liquid separating which would of course get all over my hands and the floor.

Finally, the glue didn't adhere well on my rockwork, it wasn't a huge deal but I struggled to get it to adhere like I had with the BSI glue I used before.

After using about half of the glue, I threw away the rest and went back to BSI.

So will Gorilla Glue work? yeah, it'll work, but I won't use it ever again.
 
FWIW - I used to work with single and plural component polyurethane and polyureas... many millions of pounds of the stuff.. I am sensitized (allergic) now.
That must make hanging out in a newly constructed home a real pain.
 
That must make hanging out in a newly constructed home a real pain.
Just the raw isocyanates and the isocyanates (MDI/TDI) released during curing. Inert material or residual oder (off-gassing) does not bother me. The raw product causes hives pretty quickly.
 
Thanks for the info everyone

I just bought a bottle of the green tip (gel) gorilla glue, and just glued down a photosynthetic gorgonian to a rock, and it seems to have worked well
 
I usually go for the Ecotech glue, although it can be a bit on the expensive side. So, I decided to try the Gorilla gel glue, and it worked quite well for me. The only hiccup I encountered was with the nozzle - it tended to clog quite badly, which meant I could only get a few uses out of it before it wasn't really usable anymore.
 
Gorilla glue gel. Works great and cures almost instant when it goes underwater.

For those with quickly clogging nozzles, do not let the tip get wet. Don’t touch the tip to the plug or coral skeleton. Tip must always stay dry or it will cure whatever glue is in the tip
 
Thanks for the replies,

Yeah, the tip of the bottle drying seems to be a common issue, I encountered that using SeaChem Reef Glue, good glue but you've just got to be careful when putting the tip back on
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top