Is it bad to dose different types of bacteria?

Travis Alderman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2019
Messages
217
Reaction score
248
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been dosing prodibio every 2 weeks. All of their products.

I also dose Vibrant once a week. (Awesome stuff!)

Just recently I started adding live rock enhance by reefbrite.

Im wondering if Im cancelling any of them out or is it a nice complement to each other?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Travis
 
I guess my main question would be... do you have a reason for dosing them?

Are you dosing to make up for something missing? Preventative? Are you testing the parameters that are being affected by what you're dosing?

Dosing is usually done to make up for a lack of something. With the exception of the vibrant, what makes you feel like there other two are needed?

Lots of snake oil in this hobby, and just as many salesmen to sell it.
 
I would think they all would compete for valuable real estate on any surface area they can find and attach onto.
Any bacteria that are flowing freely in the tank will likely eventually get removed by skimmer, carbon filter, uv, etc.

The problem is we don't know what type of species of bacteria are in the bottles. Maybe when we dose, we are seeding almost mostly the same type.

I have tried Dr. Tim's waste away to help keep my sandbed cleaner, but my glass surface needs to be wiped due to alage.
When I use Vibrant, I noticed less need for wiping my glass pane. So I think Dr. Tim's waste away and Vibrant may have different type of bacteria. (This is just based on my experience....no hard proof as we likely will never know what species of bacteria is in their bottles)

Dr. Tim's waste away was used to help clean up my sand bed of dino's/cyano. No hard proof that it went away from using waste away by itself. I used combo of waste away and vibrant.
 
I guess my main question would be... do you have a reason for dosing them?

Are you dosing to make up for something missing? Preventative? Are you testing the parameters that are being affected by what you're dosing?

Dosing is usually done to make up for a lack of something. With the exception of the vibrant, what makes you feel like there other two are needed?

Lots of snake oil in this hobby, and just as many salesmen to sell it.
The reason behind dosing all of them is I feel that battles are won or lost on a microscopic level in a reef tank.

I want to make sure the good guys are winning the fight. Prodibio does a fantastic job.

I did notice the most difference with Vibrant though. But that bacteria spends day and night eating algae.

I'm just wondering if live rock enhance is now a bridge too far.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top