Is it possible to cure ich with a cleaner shrimp?

HildebrandRarity

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2020
Messages
191
Reaction score
91
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, I have a 75 gallon tank with 3 fish, some crabs and snails and one of the fish ( Angel ) has ich - it seems to be eating very well and the cleaner shrimp jumped on him the other day to clean but only for a few seconds, Will the shrimp be enough to control the ich from causing death? I have some Ruby Reef Kick Ich product to use as well just in case something more is needed
 
No …. a myth that seems destined to never die. White spots are not the actual ich parasite, rather the fish's reaction to the parasite. Ich may subside on its own, but the kick ich stuff is essentially useless,
 
Good morning all, I have a 75 gallon tank with 3 fish, some crabs and snails and one of the fish ( Angel ) has ich - it seems to be eating very well and the cleaner shrimp jumped on him the other day to clean but only for a few seconds, Will the shrimp be enough to control the ich from causing death? I have some Ruby Reef Kick Ich product to use as well just in case something more is needed

No
 
No …. a myth that seems destined to never die. White spots are not the actual ich parasite, rather the fish's reaction to the parasite. Ich may subside on its own, but the kick ich stuff is essentially useless,
Thanks for your fast reply, as he is eating very well hopefully will not be affected long term and stay healthy
 
Here's a good thread to help you decide how to move forward:

 
Here's a good thread to help you decide how to move forward:

thanks
 
Is a freshwater dip a potential solution for he individual fish? I read somewhere it was but didn't know if that was true.
No. Unfortunately, a FW dip won't do it. You're pretty much limited to copper, hypo salinity, or tank transfer as treatment options.
 
Decided to just feed it very well nutritious food - Spurlina Brine shrimp and maintain water quality and used some seachem stressguard as well
 
Decided to just feed it very well nutritious food - Spurlina Brine shrimp and maintain water quality and used some seachem stressguard as well

Best of luck, hope the fish pull through! It wouldn't hurt to soak the spirulina shrimp in selcon if you have some on hand. I'd ramp up a hospital tank if you can just in case.
 
Best of luck, hope the fish pull through! It wouldn't hurt to soak the spirulina shrimp in selcon if you have some on hand. I'd ramp up a hospital tank if you can just in case.
I do have a smaller tank on hand actually, was thinking to move the fish but was wondering if it would be worth it because the other tank may still contain the parasite and infect the other fish I move, Only 1 fish the angelfish I have seems to be infected
 
Just found a great video on hyposalinity, going to try this method

 
Best of luck, hope the fish pull through! It wouldn't hurt to soak the spirulina shrimp in selcon if you have some on hand. I'd ramp up a hospital tank if you can just in case.
I’m gonna try the selcon! I’m starting to honk it’s Lymphocystis instead of ich
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top