Is it unrealistic to expect no losses ever?

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Joined
Aug 5, 2015
Messages
3,623
Reaction score
6,478
Location
Pensacola, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my system going for about 2 years and aside from a move where I lost a poci and a birdsnest in the tubs waiting for the tank to be set back up, I have never lost a coral.

Right now I have one single frag that it very slowly STN from the base. I have had high nutrients which I have brought down fairly slowly and I have lowered my Alk fairly slowly as well.

I am planning on just keeping my nutrients lower and keeping stable but it is killing me watching this guy slowly die.

Is it just part of it sometimes?
 
Its unrealistic to think youll never lose anything.
Even if you do everything right...theres always *something* that can happen lol I had a weird bacterial outbreak last year and lost 80% of my paly colonies. Thankfully a few heads from each survived but I was devistated.
Worst part, not a single person (at LFS or 3 forums) knew what it was or how to treat it :(
Stuff happens lol.
 
Yes, definitely part of the hobby. Sanjay had rampant stn in his tank a while ago and never figured it out. There is still so much for us to learn. I'd say your doing pretty well ;)
 
I just saw where @Brad Syphus was having a RTN issue with one of his giant sps colonies. If you have seen his tank you know he does it right. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason. For me there is always reason! HA!
 
There's always a reason, but finding it may elude us.

Good example: I had a frag system up for years and the last year or so the corals just always looked marginal; not really dying but just less vibrant and less growth. When I finally tore it down I realized the float switch was leeching electricity. I would have only figured this out if I had my hand in the tank "as" it was filling. So the corals were being periodically subjected to stray voltage, but I would have never figured it out.

I killed off a bunch of nice acro colonies when DIY LED first hit the scene years ago. I had 4xvho supplement and took that off for 2 LED bars that I made with royal blue leds. They didn't seem that strong, but with 3w chips on a non-dimmable ballast I burned a bunch of holes in some beautiful corals. I lost a ton of stuff and didn't really understand until a year or so later when more trial and error was posted on the forums.

I've seen other people have equipment malfunctions (chillers, dosers, reactors, etc.) nuke entire tanks.

Between the equipment and the unknown biology of it there will always be losses. It's a reality in this hobby.
 
Well there is at least one reason that we can't control.
 
I hate to say it but I think that there is always the possibility of loss. We do our best to control everything and prevent things from dying but sometimes things happen.
 
Last week, my water got cloudy. I tested for everything and my corals started to look sick especially my polyps,, It was frustrating, That happened just when everything looked better than ever. I thought I was going to lose them but thank God they're coming back. My red monti digi started to bleach and that one is not improving too much so we will see.
 
Even if you don't do something wrong corals grow and fight for space. If you don't trim one will lose the fight.
 
Loss is inevitable. I'll have a single frag I've had for 2 months RTN for no apparent reason in a tank full of frags that never show a hint of an issue. It just happens sometimes.
 
I've lost countless amounts of coral. Always frags, thankfully. Most my fault and some not. I've learned to take it in stride and learn from the experience. Now, 4 yrs later, I feel far more comfortable with my husbandry skills and am not surprised by much of anything except the resiliency of coral. Just amazing how easily they can regenerate if the conditions are right. I've learned that the coral will tell you if things are going well, but also the flora/fauna that we consider hitchhikers or pests. For example, spirorbid worm populations are usually a barometer for me. They boom and bust quickly. Same for certain types of algae. Now to just get the coral to grow into large colonies. If only it was as easy as growing gorgonians. :D
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top