Is lava rock a workable alternative to regular aquarium rock?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarSch
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

MarSch

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Messages
71
Reaction score
35
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that lava/volcanic rock can be used in place of regular dry rock. Does anyone know if this is true?

In New Zealand, "regular" rock is heinously expensive - $20 per kg. Lava rock, on the other hand, is comparatively cheap at $6.50 per kg.
It is very porous, so seems like it would make a good home for bacteria, but I'm just not sure if it is safe in terms of leeching chemicals.

This is what I'm looking at: https://www.bbqsdirect.co.nz/flame-diffusers/806-lava-rock-2kg.html

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
 
I’ve seen it used with no real problems. The caveat is I believe it can leech iron, but not always and that shouldn’t be an issue anyways if you do regular water changes or use the proper absorbing resin. After a year or so in your tank, it’ll probably expel everything and be just as safe as normal live rock anyways.
 
After a bit more googling... seems that you can never be as confident in the chemicals in lava rock as with proper reef rock. So, while it is often fine to use, it can also often leech metals.
 
I've been running my tank on 100% black lava rock for 2 1/2 years with no ill effects.

IMG_20180421_125744.jpg


IMG_20200703_150805.jpg


IMG_20200325_195709.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top