Is my 55 gallon Tank Over Stocked

Is my tank overstocked

  • Yes

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No

    Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Could be worse

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • You are a horrible person for torturing that yellow tang

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seems pretty normal to me

    Votes: 1 7.7%

  • Total voters
    13

Shane808262

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2019
Messages
208
Reaction score
130
What state or country do you live in
Hawaii
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi I have a three and a half month old 55 gallon tank and was wondering if it is overstocked. The tanks equipment includes two 75 gallon filters used for chemical, mechanical and some biological filtration. I also have 30 LBS of sand in the 55 gallon from my old 29 gallon established tank along with 40 LBS of what was dry rock that was also in my 29 gallon for 3 months before I moved it over to my 55 gallon when I se it up. I also have a heater and power head for circulation. Now that you know what equipment I have I can go over the fish I have been slowly adding to my tank over the course of the last few months so you can decide if the tank is overstocked or not. I have 1 medium size flame angel, 2 juvenile fancy clowns, 1 small six line Wrasse, 1 baby lemon butterfly, 3 banggai cardinals, 1 Royal gramma and a baby yellow tang that I am growing out for a friend with a 120. Because I actually live in Hawaii I go to the beach every 2 weeks and collect different Macro alges that a put in the tank for my yellow tang to graze on for the next 2 weeks until I have to get more he is so cute. The flame Angel is still in quarantine with my small lemon butterfly. Tang doesn’t seem stressed at all and has lots of swimming space thanks to my open hard scape.
 
hi I have a three and a half month old 55 gallon tank and was wondering if it is overstocked. The tanks equipment includes two 75 gallon filters used for chemical, mechanical and some biological filtration. I also have 30 LBS of sand in the 55 gallon from my old 29 gallon established tank along with 40 LBS of what was dry rock that was also in my 29 gallon for 3 months before I moved it over to my 55 gallon when I se it up. I also have a heater and power head for circulation. Now that you know what equipment I have I can go over the fish I have been slowly adding to my tank over the course of the last few months so you can decide if the tank is overstocked or not. I have 1 medium size flame angel, 2 juvenile fancy clowns, 1 small six line Wrasse, 1 baby lemon butterfly, 3 banggai cardinals, 1 Royal gramma and a baby yellow tang that I am growing out for a friend with a 120. Because I actually live in Hawaii I go to the beach every 2 weeks and collect different Macro alges that a put in the tank for my yellow tang to graze on for the next 2 weeks until I have to get more he is so cute. The flame Angel is still in quarantine with my small lemon butterfly. Tang doesn’t seem stressed at all and has lots of swimming space thanks to my open hard scape.
Not yet, but, it could get a little tight as the fish grow and competition for territories increase. Stick with what you have for a good while and then possibly add fish that won't compete for food or territories, like a blenny for example.
 
There are couple of different ways to look at the question of overstocking. (1) Do the fish have enough room for comfort (ability to swim, ways to deal with aggression, etc.)?, and (2) Is there enough filtration to deal with the bio-load?

You mentioned (2) 75 gallon filters, but I'm not clear on what you are doing for a three types of filtration. For example a canister filter may require extra cleaning and an increase in regular water changes for the tank. Additionally, if you loss power for an extended period and don't clean out the canister before the power comes back on then it could have unfortunate effects on the tank.
 
Overstocked vs Under-stocked just depends on two things:
1. Fish getting along
2. Water quality...Specifically, can the tank process ammonia and nitrite, and is nitrate and phosphate under control.

So, as long as fish aren't harming each other, and your water quality is fine...then all is well.

That being said, the angel, tang, and butterfly will outgrow a 55.
 
If it works then it works. Do what makes you happy, but also be ready to live with the consequences if things go wrong.
Here's what the experts at Live Aquaria told me.
"When adding specimens to your aquarium, we recommend only placing one half inch of fish per gallon of water in your aquarium. To find the total amount of fish you are able to have, you will need to find the size the fish will be when at adult size and add the number of fish together. This number will then be subtracted from the size of the aquarium to find the amount of room available in the aquarium for more specimens. "
 
Last edited:
How long is the tank? The common opinion (I think) is that some tangs (like smaller bristletooth tangs) need a minimum of 4 horizontal feet as they are constantly on the move. Yellows, purples, sailfin (zebrasoma species) need about 5 feet (maybe the butterfly too) and your larger hippos, vlamingi and Nasos need about 6 feet. But, from what you’ve said your tang and butterfly are babies. Watch them as they grow. Your best indicator of overstocking would be as @nereefpat said. As long as the are happy (not fighting) and your tank can handle the bioload, you should be fine. Sometimes a fish can get sick because of stress from overcrowding. Most fish harbor diseases/bacteria (as we do) but only get sick when their resistance is low.

However, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention filtration and water movement. If you are using canister filters, clean them weekly. I’ve seen many reef tanks run with canister filters but they require diligence. If not cleaned regularly, they can become nitrate and phosphate factories. Keep them clean. You also need to consider water movement. You indicated you have a power head/wave maker. What brand is it? Tangs, IMO, need lots of flow. They love to play in the stream of a power head. At least mine do. A power head also helps keep detritus in the water column where it can be sucked into the canister filters. If you do anything else, buy another power head.

If there is a public aquarium in your area, I would recommend you go there to see if they have a large tank with full grown tangs (or nearly so). Eight inches of full grown yellow tang is a lot larger than one would think. First off, The typical measure of 8 inches doesn’t include the tail. Secondly, full grown tangs are thick fish. As they mature, they bulk up and mature. They end up looking waaaay bigger than 8 inches. Eight inches is a big fish.

I’m not criticizing your choice of fish. I have a small yellow tang in a smaller tank than I think is appropriate. But, I intend to rehome him when gets larger. I like watching them grow. Mine is currently only about 2 1/4 inches from snout to base of tail, but when he reaches 4 inches or so, I will find him some place else to live.

Go slow when adding fish. Maybe add one fish per month unless it is a pair or small school (like three+ chromis or a pair of clowns). That way your tank can catch up with the increased bioload. Do frequent water changes, perhaps when you clean the filters. Most would consider my tank heavily stocked/overstocked but I do 20% water changes every other week, test weekly, watch my fishes’ behavior, and understand some of them will eventually get too large. It can be done certainly. Just be careful and deliberate. Research, think, research some more. Quarantine, watch and then watch some more. Ask ANY questions you have. We’ll try to help in any way we can.
 
I've had a 2" Tomini, pair of clowns, royal gramma, and possum wrasse in my 24 gallon all in one for about 6 months. Everything was fine. Once the Tomini got bigger it started to push other fish around, not aggressive but just invading other fishes' space. Now, Tomini, royal gramma, and possum wrasse are in 150 gallon.
 
T
How long is the tank? The common opinion (I think) is that some tangs (like smaller bristletooth tangs) need a minimum of 4 horizontal feet as they are constantly on the move. Yellows, purples, sailfin (zebrasoma species) need about 5 feet (maybe the butterfly too) and your larger hippos, vlamingi and Nasos need about 6 feet. But, from what you’ve said your tang and butterfly are babies. Watch them as they grow. Your best indicator of overstocking would be as @nereefpat said. As long as the are happy (not fighting) and your tank can handle the bioload, you should be fine. Sometimes a fish can get sick because of stress from overcrowding. Most fish harbor diseases/bacteria (as we do) but only get sick when their resistance is low.

However, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention filtration and water movement. If you are using canister filters, clean them weekly. I’ve seen many reef tanks run with canister filters but they require diligence. If not cleaned regularly, they can become nitrate and phosphate factories. Keep them clean. You also need to consider water movement. You indicated you have a power head/wave maker. What brand is it? Tangs, IMO, need lots of flow. They love to play in the stream of a power head. At least mine do. A power head also helps keep detritus in the water column where it can be sucked into the canister filters. If you do anything else, buy another power head.

If there is a public aquarium in your area, I would recommend you go there to see if they have a large tank with full grown tangs (or nearly so). Eight inches of full grown yellow tang is a lot larger than one would think. First off, The typical measure of 8 inches doesn’t include the tail. Secondly, full grown tangs are thick fish. As they mature, they bulk up and mature. They end up looking waaaay bigger than 8 inches. Eight inches is a big fish.

I’m not criticizing your choice of fish. I have a small yellow tang in a smaller tank than I think is appropriate. But, I intend to rehome him when gets larger. I like watching them grow. Mine is currently only about 2 1/4 inches from snout to base of tail, but when he reaches 4 inches or so, I will find him some place else to live.

Go slow when adding fish. Maybe add one fish per month unless it is a pair or small school (like three+ chromis or a pair of clowns). That way your tank can catch up with the increased bioload. Do frequent water changes, perhaps when you clean the filters. Most would consider my tank heavily stocked/overstocked but I do 20% water changes every other week, test weekly, watch my fishes’ behavior, and understand some of them will eventually get too large. It can be done certainly. Just be careful and deliberate. Research, think, research some more. Quarantine, watch and then watch some more. Ask ANY questions you have. We’ll try to help in any way we can.
thank you for all of your help, I do actually plan of rehoming the yellow tang to my friend but it is too small for his tank right now and I wanted one so hey win win right. There are actually times where the fish are behind the rock work and it actually looks like there are no fish in the tank. Should I rehome the lemon butterfly he was only $12 and if it’s pushing it I can do without. I also only actually have one banggai cardinal right now but I want to add 2 more so that I will have a little school of 3 of them bouncing around my tank.
 
T

thank you for all of your help, I do actually plan of rehoming the yellow tang to my friend but it is too small for his tank right now and I wanted one so hey win win right. There are actually times where the fish are behind the rock work and it actually looks like there are no fish in the tank. Should I rehome the lemon butterfly he was only $12 and if it’s pushing it I can do without. I also only actually have one banggai cardinal right now but I want to add 2 more so that I will have a little school of 3 of them bouncing around my tank.

So here is my way of "adding" up fish size to determine overstocking. Note: I may be the only person that does this so take it with a grain of salt. As far as the average home aquarium goes, there are three basic types of fish. 1) free swimmers that travel long distances across the reef foraging for food. These would be tangs, large angels, some triggers, etc. 2) sedentary fish like watchman gobies which stay in basically the same spot all the time and 3) territorial fish that protect a little section of the reef but never stray too far. This group would contain things like clownfish in their anemone.

So, the typical general rule of thumb for stocking marine aquariums is 1" of ADULT fish per 3-5 gallons of water. This is unlike most freshwater community tanks where the rule is roughly 1" of fish per gallon. If you consider a tank with a pair of ocellaris clowns, a six line wrasse, a pygmy angel, and a yellow tang you would typically add the length of adult fish... ocellaris clowns - 3" each, six line wrasse - 3", pygmy angel - 2", yellow tang - 8". All totaled you would have 19" of fish which would require a tank from 52-95 gallons.

I change it up a little. If a territorial fish (clowns) grow to 3" then I count them as 3". They never travel too far. A fish that grows 8" AND is a free swimmer like a tang needs more space so I would add a minimum of an inch (2" if we are talking larger tangs like hippos and nasos) and call them 9". The sedentary fish, like a watchman goby, I would take away an inch making a three inch fish more like a 2 inch fish. The six line wrasse, although only about 3" is VERY busy. If you've ever watched one, they never stop. I would also add an inch to him and maybe add 1/2 inch to the pygmy angel. The angel is tricky because although they swim in and out of the rocks all day, they aren't what I would call a free swimmer like a tang. So with the new measuring system, I would have 2 ocellaris clowns totaling 6", a six line wrasse at 4", a pygmy angel at 2.5", and a yellow tang at 9". This now brings the total to 21.5 inches and not 19. Your tank size should now be 64.5 and 107.5 gallons.

I hope that makes sense. Of course, my method requires lots of research and observation. Read as much as you can about the habits of the fish you are considering and try to find aquariums that have a variety of fish so you can watch their behavior. Oh.... and the little cubicles that most LFSs use don't count. You'll never see natural fish behavior in a tiny cubicle.
 
T

thank you for all of your help, I do actually plan of rehoming the yellow tang to my friend but it is too small for his tank right now and I wanted one so hey win win right. There are actually times where the fish are behind the rock work and it actually looks like there are no fish in the tank. Should I rehome the lemon butterfly he was only $12 and if it’s pushing it I can do without. I also only actually have one banggai cardinal right now but I want to add 2 more so that I will have a little school of 3 of them bouncing around my tank.
Oh... also, I don't know know anything about the butterfly you're talking about, but my impression is that they are similar to tangs in their movements. Your banggai cardinals are a little difficult. They don't move a lot, but they aren't sedentary either. I've seen plenty of really large ones but never any videos of wild cardinals. The ones I've seen just seem suspended in the water, not moving around too much. I might take a 1/2" from their adult length.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top