Is my Birds Nest receiving too strong light?

Sdiesel77

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 19, 2016
Messages
44
Reaction score
22
Location
Celbridge - Ireland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
I switched to LED (Chinese 165W) almost 2 months ago and coral growth has been spectacular since then. I am gradually increasing the intensity on weekly basis.
I noticed that my Birds Nest, which is the one that showed the biggest growth, has become brighter in color and polyps are shorter.
Is it because of the sudden fast growth? Or because the light is not too strong? Or is it something else?
Water parameters looks ok.

Thanks

 
Seriatapora do not need very intense lighting. It is likely that the polyps being more retracted than usual is being caused by the increase in intensity.
Unless you have lots of acros don't over do it with the led. Even the cheap black boxes can put out a lot more light than many corals can handle.
I have personally had the best growth/coloration at around 30-40% blues and between 30-60% whites. Any more and medium/low light corals tend to shrink up on me.
 
That looks like a ponape birdsnest. It should pale out a little and the pink purple and greeen will pop hard. That is weird growth but I'd say that's flow.

The neat thing on mine is see the upright shoots. They will look like spires or some kind o Klingon condo.

Here's mine sorry about the poor colors in the pic
IMG_1321.JPG


Google Tyree ponape birds nest or ponape birdsnest.
 
That's the very top of the tank at 40,000 lux
Next to that Acro

The other half of the colony is at the bottom and looks like birdsnest
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top