Is my little guy a goner? (supposedly a torch)

Dakota_reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2021
Messages
193
Reaction score
243
Location
Ventura
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within days, a dark spot appeared, and now the whole perimeter is darker, and it won't open up :(
I did an iodine dip, but I'm not comfortable with my water parameters.
Also, I've seen them melt away, bleach out, but not go dark like this (it's also been a awhile since I've had a Euphyllia but that looks like a hammer to me).

Pic on the left is a couple days after putting it in the tank. other two pics are from today, 9 days later.

1642706862463.png
1642706883283.png
1642706902994.png


Tank is ~4 years old, but the LR and mushrooms are from 2006 from a smaller tank I upgraded to a 20gal cube.

Salinity: 1.026
Tmp: 77-78
Alk: 11 (high)
pH 7.9-8.1
Ca: Just above max reading, must be >500 but I'm not dosing?
Mg: 1450
Nitrate: 1.5-2.3
P04: .04

I'm mixing more salt for a water change today just because.
 
Last edited:
Oh I misunderstood your post on light. You have a 30w LED and are thinking of the kessil 160. You might want to go a bit bigger if your upgrading so you have room to push more par later if you want. Not sure what the spread is on a Kessil 160. 18" is a pretty large distance. Might want to look at more of a panel type light such as the radion xr15 g5

The 30w still could have been too much depending on the placement of the light and coral.
 
Upvote 0
Oh I misunderstood your post on light. You have a 30w LED and are thinking of the kessil 160. You might want to go a bit bigger if your upgrading so you have room to push more par later if you want. Not sure what the spread is on a Kessil 160. 18" is a pretty large distance. Might want to look at more of a panel type light such as the radion xr15 g5

The 30w still could have been too much depending on the placement of the light and coral.

This tank is being upgraded to a 150g and that will have MH + T5s. This will become a small biome tank of some sort eventually plumbed in to the 150g's sump.
 
Upvote 0
Just an update! Water parameters are back in check and I think the little guy is doing better! He's extended about the amount he was when I bought him! Thanks again so much for the advice!!

salt 1.026
tmp 76.8-78
pH 7.95
Alk 9.5 dkh
CA 430
Mg 1370

1643124868135.png
1643124885882.png
 
Upvote 0

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top