Is my plate coral dead or dying ?

terrie209

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2014
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this green plate coral for over a month, and it was doing great , until I we got a lemon peel, then red crabs to remove some green algae! It looks terrible ! I bought Reef Dip which is iodine, but not sure if I should do that more than once , looks to me like it's too late anyway , does anyone know by the photo what I should do ? Thank you !
damunyqa.jpg
 
I'm sorry your Fungia looks to be totally dead. I'd leave it in the tank because they are known to make new polyps. There's a slim chance anyway.
 
Looks dead to me, I have an orange plate, and would take it out if it looked like that to be honest.
 
I thought so , how do they have new ones ? I know they are known to " have babies" but I'm not sure how long I should leave it there ,,
 
i've had one almost die off with some pigment left and then started developing a few new babies.. but that one looks like complete skeleton.
 
Thank you ! I kind of knew it had to be dead, no living coral looks like that ! Ugh Will it hurt anything to leave it in there though ?
 
Is there any flesh at all left on it? If not it may not sprout babies. When I get new colonies there is always a squeak bit of flesh and then it somehow forms a new fungia.
 
I don't see any , so I guess it has to have some flesh to do this ? I'm learning lol !,
 
Could it have " babies " before v it totally died ? Which was just less than a week ago , and me not see something ?
 
Is there any flesh at all left on it? If not it may not sprout babies. When I get new colonies there is always a squeak bit of flesh and then it somehow forms a new fungia.


i have mine in the back of my tank its completely dead. it will pop babies, But not as fast as your thinking. it takes time. the mother dies off soemtimes and reproduces Buds later on. maybe less then a year down the road.
 
Cool , thank you ! I just didn't know if I could leave it there ,,
 
Interesting info on the polyp bail of this kind of coral. Had one of these many years ago but didn't last very long.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top