Is polymer clay safe for saltwater aquariums?

valentino

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2022
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
oak lawn IL
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently created a rocky (hollow) aquascape out of polymer clay (fully cured: heated at 280 for 1 hour) filled with mortar cement (cured for a week) but the water has started getting slightly cloudy. The water is RODI and about 1.010 salinity. Though the tank isn't stocked with anything other than crushed marine gravel and sand, I'm worried about using it now, I'm questioning if it's safe for fish, and corals, since the water became cloudy. In addition, I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experiences with using polymer clay causing their water to be cloudy.


Other info: the sump (and therefore all filtration, heating, and aeration) was completely offline for the 48 hours the clay had been set in the tank and remain offline, aside from the lights and wavemakers, no other mechanics were used.
 
Not sure about the polymer clay but I would question the 1 week cured mortar . I’d be afraid of harmful stuff leaching from it
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top