Is there any chance against Vermited snails?

Delouise

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 14, 2020
Messages
59
Reaction score
29
Location
Penryn, Ca.
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I scraped all the snails off my corals when I transferred them into my new tank, but of course some got through. So, is there a way to get rid of them? Do bumblebee really work, how many are needed per gallon?
 
vermetid snails are considered a nuisance and harmful to both corals and fish
 
vermetid snails are considered a nuisance and harmful to both corals and fish
Hey you can't make up your own quote under my name! :eek:

Anyways I hear that alot about corals (not fish though). As long as they aren't actually touching a coral they are great filter feeders. I have had the big ones and the small ones for many years and they are welcome clean up crew here
 
Hey you can't make up your own quote under my name! :eek:

Anyways I hear that alot about corals (not fish though). As long as they aren't actually touching a coral they are great filter feeders. I have had the big ones and the small ones for many years and they are welcome clean up crew here
Sorry about that, I though it looked strange so I posted again.
 
Nope. Sorry, no magic pill or secret weapon.

They're quantities pretty much ebb and flow with increase and decrease of available food.

I had bazillions of the small ones ... the ones with tubes the thickness of toopicks ...th in my 24g. Made my rocks look like porcupines. About once every 3-4 months I would just spend 30 minutes knocking them all down with end of my glass scraper to make the rocks somewhat smooth again.

Every now and then I see one of the bigger type ... tubes the thickness of pipe cleaners ... and crush them with needle-nose pliers to keep them at bay.

In both cases, I never had either cause any problems with corals.

Every now and then someone reports success with bumble bee snails ... but it by far the exception and not the rule.

Also, keep in mind, if you happen to get the type of bumble bee that does eat vermiteds, it means it's a snail eater. If you keep other snails in your CUC that are slower than it, they could be at risk of being consumed by the bumble bee as well.
 
I have heard many people say that they can damage coral and fish.... I have them, and find they don't damage anything. They are annoying some times.. but they don't hurt anything based on my 38+ years of experience keeping reef tanks.

What could they possibly do to a fish or coral? :) Sure they can keep a coral from expanding polps durring feeding time but I have Anglefish.. and my corals stay tight lipped until night already.
 
I thought I scraped all the snails off my corals when I transferred them into my new tank, but of course some got through. So, is there a way to get rid of them? Do bumblebee really work, how many are needed per gallon?
I had hundreds of these in my tank. Bought 4 bumblebee snails and they were gone in 4 months. My tank is 125 gal and has a lot of live rock. Good luck.
 
I had hundreds as well, and they went away over a few months with no additions, changes, or effort on my part. I believe they're like algae invasions- they show up, multiply to ridiculous numbers, then disappear.

By the way, they didn't harm my corals at all.
 
Ok, based on everyone’s input, I’m not going to worry about them! I’ll scrape off the ones I can during weekly water changes and let what I can’t find alone to multiply. Thanks guys.
 
I have millions of the small ones and I don’t see them harming corals. A matter of fact I have a monti cap growing over several of them. I personally just find them annoying I did buy a dozen bumblebee snails a couple of months ago and MAYBE seeing some reduction.
 
I agree with others, they seem to multiply quickly, and then dissipate. I have found, though I am not sure if this is the reason, that when I added Double Helix coraline algae, they eventually dissipated. I am not sure if they couldn't out compete the coraline algae, but they seemed to not be as invasive. Myself, personally, didn't find the vermited snails as invasive, but, unfortunately they can be unsightly. It can be a part of the ocean cycle. :) ;)
 
Placing a dab of gel super glue over the opening of tube always works otherwise breaking their tubes at the base as well.
There is big debate as to keep them or rid of them. My outlook is to get rid of them. Vermetid snails are a type of snail that begins its life as a small mobile creature that can move where it wants. It then plants itself to a rock and builds a calcified tube where it spends the rest of its time. Problem is. . . . They build up their tube so they can spit their mucus into the flow of water, yet without letting the mucus go. This mucus then picks up small pieces of food, which they then eat with the mucus. If you start seeing them in your tank don’t let them go untouched. They will build a large population and annoy your expensive corals you’ve worked so hard to keep happy.
They will kill CUC snails in the tank if they get the opportunity.
 
They will kill CUC snails in the tank if they get the opportunity.
There must be different type of vermited snails because of have thousands on my tank for a long time and my snail cuc seems to be growing as well and healthy than ever. Is there a super vermited snail out there? Maybe we have to start referencing which ones we have as there seems to be different ones mentioned in every vermited snail thread.
 
There must be different type of vermited snails because of have thousands on my tank for a long time and my snail cuc seems to be growing as well and healthy than ever. Is there a super vermited snail out there? Maybe we have to start referencing which ones we have as there seems to be different ones mentioned in every vermited snail thread.
Its the adults. The tubes start at .5cm and grow to 5cm
 
So the big ones do irritate corals but never heard of them damaging fish. I had an infestation and not sure if related or not but after adding my 6 line wrasse all the smaller vermetids were gone within 4-6 months.
 
So the big ones do irritate corals but never heard of them damaging fish. I had an infestation and not sure if related or not but after adding my 6 line wrasse all the smaller vermetids were gone within 4-6 months.
That sounds like a normal timeframe for vermetids to disappear on their own, at least IME :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top