Is this a bristle worm and should i keep ot or remove it

  • Thread starter Thread starter Peppz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Peppz

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 12, 2022
Messages
22
Reaction score
7
Location
Sydney
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this guy in my tank after returning from a week away I have never seen it before and I dont know what it is or if I should remove it or if its good to keep

20240113_123652.jpg 20240113_123649.jpg 20240113_123646.jpg
 
Just found this guy in my tank after returning from a week away I have never seen it before and I dont know what it is or if I should remove it or if its good to keep

20240113_123652.jpg 20240113_123649.jpg 20240113_123646.jpg
Looks like bristle yes and that is up to you. While these are NOT welcome in my tanks, many regard them as cleaner crew as they consume uneaten food and detritus. They are harmless until you touch one
 
Just found this guy in my tank after returning from a week away I have never seen it before and I dont know what it is or if I should remove it or if its good to keep

20240113_123652.jpg 20240113_123649.jpg 20240113_123646.jpg

I normally remove the big ones only, the 2 inches or more long.

I use a trap similar to this one. Very effective.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20240112_195534.jpg
    IMG_20240112_195534.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 38
The largest I captured was this nasty almost 4 inches beast
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_2024-01-12-19-58-18-61_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-01-12-19-58-18-61_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 44
Yes def a bristle

I normally catch and then transport to my sump where it can go to work and clean up the bottom crap left there from the cycle

Not had a super big one yet
 
Looks like bristle yes and that is up to you. While these are NOT welcome in my tanks, many regard them as cleaner crew as they consume uneaten food and detritus. They are harmless until you touch one
Why aren’t they welcome In your tank ?
 
Why aren’t they welcome In your tank ?
After having 2-3 …. 14” ones in the tank and a bunch of babies, I no longer desired them as I run very large tanks and it’s impossible to get to them for removal
 
Recently added a couple but not fire worm. Big distinction although both eat the crap others don't. Amazing little trash compactors they are.
 
Just found this guy in my tank after returning from a week away I have never seen it before and I dont know what it is or if I should remove it or if its good to keep

20240113_123652.jpg 20240113_123649.jpg 20240113_123646.jpg
I had dozens of those. Never hurt anything and they mopped up uneaten food. Their numbers seemed to depend on over feeding or underfeeding but if they get out of control get the torch out at night and pick them out with tweezers,
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top