Is this a Velvet or Ich?? Your opinion please.

ifwisheswerefishes

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 19, 2020
Messages
54
Reaction score
34
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been treating a white spot issue for 25 days. The spots come and go. My tangs are fat, healthy, and behaving normally. Please look at the photo and tell me if this is Ich or velvet please.
02362E1B-09C0-4538-A487-6366BE75806D.jpeg
BE1E9AFE-A54E-41EB-BC83-C2FB90393B68.jpeg
 
If you can count them = ich
Too many to count = velvet

The thing to remember is the white spots are not the parasites but the fish's immune system reacting with mucous at the point of insertion. Take a look at all the bumps, some with white spots, some without the white spot which could be spots that haven't white spotted yet or that have already lost the white mucous spots. Lots of spots.
 
Thank you for your reply. The bumps versus spots are throwing me off. Do you think it is Ich?
 
Looks like velvet to me... that's a lot of spots.

 
Looks like velvet as well. I recommend you take them out and dip in fresh water for 5 minutes and treat with copper asap. They have less than a few days left if it is velvet. They will swim fine and all of a sudden start suffocating when it infects the gills.
 
They have been like this for 25 days so far. I can not remove them. Been treating Polyp Lab Medic for 20 days. Just stopped as per directions. The last several days with Seachem Metro and Focus.
Can they survive velvet this long? They are eating, swimming great. Any thought with that info?
 
You can try to treat the tank with Chloroquine Phosphate

 
That is most certainly velvet. I use CP to teat it, copper can be used as well. It is a VERY agressive parasite. Velvet can wipe out a whole tank.
 
Looks like velvet to me as well. If you cannot remove fish I would try H202 to see if it helps relieve fish from the parasite.

 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top