Is this Aiptasia on my hammer?

shark8

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 30, 2024
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Location
Kent
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just noticed that my hammer and frogspawn has been acting weird since yesterday. Are these Aiptasia growing out of it? If so, should I take it out and dip it with CoralRX?

These two are the only two with it that I noticed. No recent outbreak. My nitrate did drop from 10 to roughly 0 since removing 3 fishes. Just added 3 new fishes today so I’m expecting nitrate to be around 7-10 soon.

Nitrate : 0
Phosphate :0.02
Salinity : 35Ppt
Alk: 8.3
Calcium: 425
Mag: 1400
PH: 8:.3

Thanks,

IMG_6745.jpeg IMG_6744.jpeg
 
Thanks all for help identifying it. Times for a peppermint shrimp I guess
 
Thanks all for help identifying it. Times for a peppermint shrimp I guess
Fir one or two, I would skip peppermint especially if you get a non-worker who will turn on zoa and other softies. Keep it simple:
Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
 
I have berghia nudibranchs and peppermints in my tank right now. Both working on aptasia. You could take them out and scrap them off if they are the only ones you see. Peppermints could possibly get bored and nip at corals and bergia are expensive and only really for bad outbreaks. My peppermints weren't working fast enough to keep up with the aptasia so I had to do both. I would suggest taking them out and trying to remove the aptasia first. Then maybe get a peppermint. I find peppermints work well in groups of 2 or 3 of they work at all. Sometimes when you just have one he turns into a pet shrimp instead of a worker.
 
I'd say that's good for the time being, especially to get it off the hammer, but aiptasia, being the spawn of hell it is, will probably pop back up later down the road. Then I'd recommend bergia nudibranchs
Fir one or two, I would skip peppermint especially if you get a non-worker who will turn on zoa and other softies. Keep it simple:
Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
 
The Kalkwasser powder mixed for now. I only see it on the hammer right now. Hopefully it will get rid of it before it gets too infested. Thanks All.
 
I'd say that's good for the time being, especially to get it off the hammer, but aiptasia, being the spawn of hell it is, will probably pop back up later down the road. Then I'd recommend bergia nudibranchs
Ive had as many have had - success with this method. You Must get it into the center core
 
Thanks all for help identifying it. Times for a peppermint shrimp I guess
What reefkeepers said! Also be very sure if you do get a peppermint shrimp that it really is that! There are several close relatives, that are not reef safe.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top