Is this cyano on my diy scrubber?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bars
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Bars

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
544
Reaction score
650
Location
The Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made my own algae scrubber, which is running again for 2 weeks now. It's attached in a slight angle to one of the baffles in my sump with a 12 watt grow light.

To me it looks like the bluish freshwater cyano. Is this normal, as it's still quite new? Lack of flow? Not enough light?

20210203_103930.jpg
 
It look like normal algae and what you’d expect in a scrubber at first. Sometimes hard to tell from a pic. But in reef tanks, cyano is typically a maroon type of color. I’ve never personally seen the blue-green cyano in a reef tank. I’d assume it would have to be extremely rare to end up with it.
 
It look like normal algae and what you’d expect in a scrubber at first. Sometimes hard to tell from a pic. But in reef tanks, cyano is typically a maroon type of color. I’ve never personally seen the blue-green cyano in a reef tank. I’d assume it would have to be extremely rare to end up with it.
Great, hopefully you're right :) I was worried my light was insufficient because I didn't get any green algae. Guess I was just impatient as usual.
 
Great, hopefully you're right :) I was worried my light was insufficient because I didn't get any green algae.


All I'm seeing in that pic is green algae. Sorry, I don't see any blue, just green, but telling colors over the internet is always tough with differences between everyone's display settings and what not. Just looks green to me.
 
In my experience with scrubbers it takes about 2 months minimum for the algae growth to stabilize. The type, color, growth of the algae doesn't matter. What matters is the water quality of your tank. Let the scrubber run and test your water. If your water is where you want it, don't make an adjustments to your scrubber. If your nitrates or phosphates are climbing, then maybe you want to increase your lighting duration or type.
 
To me it looks like the bluish freshwater cyano. Is this normal, as it's still quite new?
I agree. In my sump I get a cyano that is this emerald green.
(but you have several shades of green and brown there. no worries, give it time.)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top