Is this good lighting for a saltwater aquarium?

Nathan2585

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
2
Location
Goldsboro,NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 55 gal saltwater tank with fish and some coral. I want a mixture between a few SPS and LPS. I am looking at a 4ft light combo set and not sure if this is good or not. Right now I have a 175 watt metal halide light in there which is just the shield and bulb don't know if this is real good for it but want something else. This is the description of the light I'm looking at and they want $250.
One 48 inch aquarium light containing four T5 high output lamps and four LED moon lights.
One 48 inch 20000k White LED light bar with power supply.
One 48 inch 12000k Blue LED light bar with power supply.
 
Probably will be alright. 4 bulbs of t5ho is enough to keep what you're wanting.
 
I'd highly recommend LED's. The additional cost with T5's is that the bulbs need to be replaced, at a minimum, every year. A four bulb unit at 22 to 25 dollars a bulb adds up. You can pick up an LED fixture of two for around 300 or so that would easily supply enough light for what you want. And no bulb replacement costs!
 
Well what's a good model LED light I could pick up that's not too crazy in Price? I have been looking online but not sure which rated one I need.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top