Is this how much an aquarium truely costs?

Seadragon1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 22, 2016
Messages
135
Reaction score
34
Location
Main
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have studied fish and looked at photos of them since forever and yesterday I saw the fish and corals in real life for the first time. The polyps were stunning and so tiny compared to all the zoomed in photos of them. I finally decided to do more then just be able to study and wright about them but actually own them for myself. I did some extra research and came up with the cost of an aquarium. I already own an empty 40 gallon with a lighting fixture (LED) and stand. I want everything else new so it will last longer. I am just checking to see if the cost is correct in case I missed or miscalculated because it is at a stunningly high price right now.

testing kits $60
fish food $25
light bulbs $45
crushed coral gravel $100
heating $20
circulation pump $20
salt $40
water care $20
fish $75
corals $150
live rock $160
sump (own tank) $125
pumps $50
plumbing $30
backup $50
total cost $970
 
i mean it all depends on how much you actually want to spend on my full set up i spend 2000 on a 55g and then i spent 300 on a pico tank so i mean its all about the brand of stuff which you get i guess you can say
 
Lol. Yeah that's about right, I didn't see a skimmer on your list though. You can check for deals and sales online and pick and choose used equipment on Craigslist but yes even a 40 breeder can cost a mint.
 
I have studied fish and looked at photos of them since forever and yesterday I saw the fish and corals in real life for the first time. The polyps were stunning and so tiny compared to all the zoomed in photos of them. I finally decided to do more then just be able to study and wright about them but actually own them for myself. I did some extra research and came up with the cost of an aquarium. I already own an empty 40 gallon with a lighting fixture (LED) and stand. I want everything else new so it will last longer. I am just checking to see if the cost is correct in case I missed or miscalculated because it is at a stunningly high price right now.

testing kits $60
fish food $25
light bulbs $45
crushed coral gravel $100
heating $20
circulation pump $20
salt $40
water care $20
fish $75
corals $150
live rock $160
sump (own tank) $125
pumps $50
plumbing $30
backup $50
total cost $970
Well you got a very good list here, unfortunantly, its as expensive as you make it. My current take ive spend over 10,000 dollars on, but my 30 gallon nano i didnt even spend more then 300 on. That list you have is a basic guideline to how much youll windup spending.
 
Lol. Yeah that's about right, I didn't see a skimmer on your list though. You can check for deals and sales online and pick and choose used equipment on Craigslist but yes even a 40 breeder can cost a mint.

I already have the tank for the sump so the price is for the skimmer (found a good deal) cost to turn the tank into the sump ect.
 
I plan out a build and stockpile equipment sometimes taking a year. And I'm never done buying gear like lights, pumps and heaters. Those are the things that fail when you're least expecting it and if not planned for can really put you out. On the cheap side, I've seen reefers run with hob filters and a heater. It's all in what you want to put into it. The reef police won't come to your door and force you to spend a 1000 $$ on a tank.
 
Also, $225 to stock your tank, is really not that much. I mean you could go to swaps, and get some frags for cheap and such, but really that is low ball. I mean the average fish is about 30.00 for the common ones and if you get 3 or 4 you are talking around 100.00 and coral, oh man, don't even get started there. Common species frags can be for like ten, but once you start looking, and falling in love with them, you will end up spending way more than you anticipate. It is really tough to buy a $10.00 frag of kenya tree when a 40.00 or 50.00 acan lord, with all the colors of the rainbow is glowing in the frag tank right next to the kenya tree.
 
@Seadragon1
On the other hand, don't let me talk you out of the hobby. I, myself, am on a budget, and make a modest living, but reefing is my hobby, and my love so I make it work. In the end we all joke about the money, but it is not really about that, it's a passion, and it can be very rewarding, When I look at my tank now the last thing I think about is how much stuff cost, I just get lost in the beauty of the little eco system I maintain.

I have spent countless hours playing around with my tank, and enjoy the community on this and other forums. So, as far as worth and value goes, it is pretty much priceless for me personally.
 
You have an led fixture but on your budget you have a line for 45$ light bulbs?
 
What I have done in the past is to buy what I needed. Then slowly upgrade the quality of the equipment I use over time. I have a Paypal account just to buy one piece of equipment at a time. This let's you slowly get the good equipment and replace the pieces that you do not like. You will find as you grow into the hobby that the equipment you purchased originally just doesn't do what you want it to. Ether it breaks or is way too small for your aquarium. You will end up replacing it all over time. Watch the use equipment section of the forum you will find all kinds of equipment for sale. You can pick up some good pieces at great prices.
 
I just save up for a while and splurge. There's a bunch of stores I like to check out on my days off and usually wind up picking up something small for my tank from 1 or 2 of them in my loop. Unless they have something really special my money is better saved for that next piece of equipment I want to upgrade or that amazing deal on the forums / craigslist thats too good to pass up.
 
I'm pretty confused, you were just contemplating making a 10,000+ gallon system for sharks and you think just shy of $1,000 is expensive?
 
I wasnt saying it was too much I was just saying it was very stunning :)
 
I'm pretty confused, you were just contemplating making a 10,000+ gallon system for sharks and you think just shy of $1,000 is expensive?
Wow..

Edit: nevermind I thought YOU were contemplating a $10k shark tank. My apologies lol
 
Also, $225 to stock your tank, is really not that much. I mean you could go to swaps, and get some frags for cheap and such, but really that is low ball. I mean the average fish is about 30.00 for the common ones and if you get 3 or 4 you are talking around 100.00 and coral, oh man, don't even get started there. Common species frags can be for like ten, but once you start looking, and falling in love with them, you will end up spending way more than you anticipate. It is really tough to buy a $10.00 frag of kenya tree when a 40.00 or 50.00 acan lord, with all the colors of the rainbow is glowing in the frag tank right next to the kenya tree.

probably a lot more then that for me because I am planning on getting some of the more exotic fish and corals a while after it's established.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top