Is this too much livestock at once?

CompletelyClueless

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2021
Messages
18
Reaction score
32
Location
UK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I'm just wondering if 1x peppermint shrimp, 2x rounded turbo snails, 2x cerith snails and 2x astrea snails and 3x different softie frags is too much to add to a cycled 5.5g at once?
Current occupants are 1 male nasarrius snail and 1 female, a zoa frag and a GSP frag.
Current parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates, 0.3 phosphate, kh 12, temp 25-26c, salinity 1.025, pH fluctuates through the day but average 7.8. Been cycled since August.
I have a cycled QT I use for coral frags I can use if it's too much for the display in one go.
 
Looks ok to me, only the shrimp and snails create load, corals help consume load so you add can what ya wish.
Keep an eye on ammonia nevertheless for a few days.
 
Looks ok to me, only the shrimp and snails create load, corals help consume load so you add can what ya wish.
Keep an eye on ammonia nevertheless for a few days.
Yeah I have a GHA issue that started with high phosphate so hoping a few more softies to eat it up will help, I've got off as much by hand as I can and wanted a few more critters anyway so fingers crossed. I was gonna test daily for a bit and have mixed up saltwater on hand just in case I needed to do an extra WC or two :) It feels like a lot of beasties to be adding to a rather little tank, lol
 
If you have algae issues, adding stuff will just compound that.
 
It's CUC that eats it though - the algae issue was caused by the high phosphate, now the phosphate has been reduced, surely if I can keep it low and the snails etc. will eat the algae thats left it won't be an issue anymore? Thats what I thought anyway but aware I could be way wrong lol
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top