It’s killing my coral, NEED HELP

Chris_Noles

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 20, 2020
Messages
754
Reaction score
356
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I can’t seem to shake whatever algae is taking over my tank. I’ve had Dinos, Bubble Algae and cyano. Now I have this mat of green algae that grows on rocks, sand and has been killing off my Zoa’s. I have no idea what this is or how to fight it. I also just got done dosing Razor and bottled bacteria to kill bubble algae.

Lights are on for 8 hours a day, I run purigen (edit),carbon, filter pads and a protein skimmer. I can post parameters later as well if needed.

464C5C85-F0CB-418A-827E-61B25CBBF239.jpeg
A8479D61-B092-4F99-9E1E-0D5403886664.jpeg
 
Last edited:
How old is your system? How did you set it up? (It looks like you used all dry rock and sand?) How often are you doing water changes?
 
I would invest in quality UV. proper flow and size matter a lot. I swear by mine (12 years in the hobby) you can check my build thread.

curious why are you running carbon and chemiclean at same time?
 
Water parameters? Have you bottomed out your nitrates/phosphates? How long do you run your skimmer?
 
How old is your system? How did you set it up? (It looks like you used all dry rock and sand?) How often are you doing water changes?
System is about 2 years old, I used dry rock and sand. I do a 5 gallon water change every month.
 
I would invest in quality UV. proper flow and size matter a lot. I swear by mine (12 years in the hobby) you can check my build thread.

curious why are you running carbon and chemiclean at same time?
I have one of those Amazon UV’s laying around I could put back in the tank. I usually run carbon and chemiclean at the same time (right now its only chemiclean) since that’s what I have been told to do from the start.
 
Chemiclean? Your skimmer has never worked then…
With such little livestock in that tank. If it was mine I probably wouldn’t be skimming at all. I have never had a tank bigger than 40g though and that was a while back. All my tanks have been 10 and under
 
Zooming in on your pics it almost looks like byropsis.. need some better pics under white lights to be exact.
Could be a turf algea. A urchin would help with turf not sure about byropis
 
I would invest in quality UV. proper flow and size matter a lot. I swear by mine (12 years in the hobby) you can check my build thread.

curious why are you running carbon and chemiclean at same time?
I meant purigen**** my bad
 
With such little livestock in that tank. If it was mine I probably wouldn’t be skimming at all. I have never had a tank bigger than 40g though and that was a while back. All my tanks have been 10 and under
Agreed on the skimming…I ended up over buying equipment I really didn’t need. I do get a decent amount of skim over the course of a week for a 25 gallon..
 
Zooming in on your pics it almost looks like byropsis.. need some better pics under white lights to be exact.
I could get some pictures with brighter lights, I’ve found byropsis in this tank as well I dont see any “leafy” algae in there yet…
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top