Jebao 3.4 wifi doser - using away from home

wsoldier

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 11, 2018
Messages
337
Reaction score
74
Location
Los Angeles (Burbank)
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
For those with this doser, I thought I read somewhere on how to connect to the device on a remote network. Whenever I try currently I get the following error:

giz_openapi_user_not_exist

Has anyone done this successfully? Does it require a VPN tunnel to your local network, or is there a simpler way? Thanks.
 
Why would you trust modifying your doser remotely and not be there to see the result? Risky.
 
As far as I know, most WiFi components such as dosers, lights and heater controllers etc. connect to your home network (must be 2.4 GHz in most cases). Control is then possible from anywhere via the associated App as long as you have an Internet connection.
This thread talks about the Jebao doser with lots of input from users about connection issues. Most are based on the 2.4 GHz requirement but there is also something about ensuring your network is named "WiFi".
Maybe something in there will help.
 
@TheBear78 Unfortunately no help from that thread, and I've never been able to do this remotely on wifi abroad. I thought I saw an old thread somewhere describing instructions, but I haven't been able to find it.

Why would you trust modifying your doser remotely and not be there to see the result? Risky.

I'm halfway around the globe and my tank sitter's ALK testing came in at 6.86dkh, that's why. I lost a bunch of coral before leaving due to pollutants in the tank, and I wasn't able to dial in the dosing before I left.

I had to have my sitter install the app and update the dosing schedule for me, but this is really inefficient.
 
The solution might be having a laptop or desktop running onsite and then use a remote control app to that device on the same network as the doser.
 
For those with this doser, I thought I read somewhere on how to connect to the device on a remote network. Whenever I try currently I get the following error:

giz_openapi_user_not_exist

Has anyone done this successfully? Does it require a VPN tunnel to your local network, or is there a simpler way? Thanks.
Having a VPN back is not a bad thing. I believe this is a local wireless app so yes, one would need something like a VPN. If not, it would be an MQTT-like IoT device and is cloud controlled. I do not believe these are such and moreover, would likely be fully of security issues.
 
I had to have my sitter install the app and update the dosing schedule for me, but this is really inefficient.
That's far from ideal!
I'm sure that it should be possible. I know it's a different system but my WiFi Inkbird and Red Sea lights and doser are App controlled and I can definitely adjust them all from abroad. I would be surprised if most manufacturers didn't use very similar hardware.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top