Jenn's First Tank - IM Nuvo 14 Penninsula

ReeferJen

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 11, 2018
Messages
82
Reaction score
165
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally did it! I was in the "Pinterest Phase" of this hobby, and three weeks ago, I took the plunge. I got an IM Nuvo 14 Penninsula. I had $200 in spot bonus Visa gift cards from work, so I decided it was time. I was going to get the 20, but may have to move soonish, and figured this would be easier to move.

Lighting - Current USA Orbit 18"-24". Dr's Foster's & Smith had them for half off ($84.00) so I decided to spring for an IM Chatomax ($70.00) and turn the center chamber into a refugium. I had to pick between a skimmer and a fuge, and so far I think I made the right choice.

Filtration - Live Sand and CaribSea rock (12 lb). Using the filter sock for now, but got the upgrade filter caddy I'll install when the sock gets gross. Also, the aforementioned refugium.

Other - Got a rotation head on my outflow to vary the flow. My clown likes to play in it, like he's surfing. Also, got a Tunze ATO. Solid investment I feel for a tank this small.

Started the cycle with Dr. Tim's. I think I got a funky bottle. My trates/trites were "stuck" at the same reading for a week. Added Fritz Turbo Start, and they were definitely unstuck and went to 0 within 24 hours.

The more lit side is the "front" and the dimmer side is the "back". Looking for suggestions of coral that would do well on the shady side.

IMG_20180831_211022.jpeg
IMG_20180831_211007.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I finally did it! I was in the "Pinterest Phase" of this hobby, and three weeks ago, I took the plunge. I got an IM Nuvo 14 Penninsula. I had $200 in spot bonus Visa gift cards from work, so I decided it was time. I was going to get the 20, but may have to move soonish, and figured this would be easier to move.

Lighting - Current USA Orbit 18"-24". Dr's Foster's & Smith had them for half off ($84.00) so I decided to spring for an IM Chatomax ($70.00) and turn the center chamber into a refugium. I had to pick between a skimmer and a fuge, and so far I think I made the right choice.

Filtration - Live Sand and CaribSea rock (12 lb). Using the filter sock for now, but got the upgrade filter caddy I'll install when the sock gets gross. Also, the aforementioned refugium.

Other - Got a rotation head on my outflow to vary the flow. My client likes to play in it, like he's surfing. Also, got a Tunze ATO. Solid investment I feel for a tank this small.

Started the cycle with Dr. Tim's. I think I got a funky bottle. My trates/trites were "stuck" at the same reading for a week. Added Fritz Turbo Start, and they were definitely unstuck and went to 0 within 24 hours.

The more lit side is the "front" and the dimmer side is the "back". Looking for suggestions of coral that would do well on the shady side.

IMG_20180831_211022.jpeg
IMG_20180831_211007.jpeg

Nice job! I like the aquascape. If the backside is really dark, check out some non-phosynthetic (NPS) corals or maybe some sponges. Some of them tend to be more difficult to care for though.

Welcome to R2R!
 
Nice job! I like the aquascape. If the backside is really dark, check out some non-phosynthetic (NPS) corals or maybe some sponges. Some of them tend to be more difficult to care for though.

Welcome to R2R!
Thanks! I'm so excited. I'm really looking forward to meeting other reefers and nerding out. I've needed a new hobby for a while. I was thinking about non-photosynthetics, and may wait a while to try my hand at those. I guess I just need to feed them regularly?
 
Hello Jenn,

Wow so many new ladies joining the hobby it’s so exciting. First, welcome to R2R where you will find lots of lovely people, and more knowledge than you will know what to do with. I loved your pics and how you laid everything out. It’s a gorgeous tank :).

You will love the current light and that should have a 90 degree lens on it. I would find the center of the tank, and then center the light on the center spot. That should give it equal lifting front to rear. If you still find that it shades you could raise it up an inch or two. I run the current marine pros (60 degree lens ) on my 240 gallon and they are amazing lights.

Since your tank is not very tall, you should be able to grow softies, lps, sps in there. I will point out that the new current light that you have (aka ic loop version or 90 degree lens version ) probably isn’t strong enough to grow clams, or extremely high high light demanding sps. But, other than that you should be all set to go. Also a nice peace of mind is if you ever have any issues with the light current usa is absolutely amazing and very kind to their customers. :)

Have you decided on what kind of fish you want and or type of corals you want yet? Have you thought of maybe a mixed reef tank with a little bit of everything? They are a little harder but so pretty. (All of them are to me but love the mixed the most best of all worlds).

If you need any help please feel free to ask, always willing to help.

Sincerely
Sarah
 
Thanks! I'm so excited. I'm really looking forward to meeting other reefers and nerding out. I've needed a new hobby for a while. I was thinking about non-photosynthetics, and may wait a while to try my hand at those. I guess I just need to feed them regularly?

Right. Many of them require target feeding.

EDIT: mostly filter feeders though

 
Last edited:
Wow. You are doing up right!!
Love the aquascape. I can't wait to see if progress!

And if you have setbacks this is a great community and let us know what is going on! Some people get embarrassed when they have a setback but don't be. (yea, had a big one recently and I'm still ashamed, so maybe I need to take my own advise, lol).

welcome!
 
Hello Jenn,

Wow so many new ladies joining the hobby it’s so exciting. First, welcome to R2R where you will find lots of lovely people, and more knowledge than you will know what to do with. I loved your pics and how you laid everything out. It’s a gorgeous tank :).

You will love the current light and that should have a 90 degree lens on it. I would find the center of the tank, and then center the light on the center spot. That should give it equal lifting front to rear. If you still find that it shades you could raise it up an inch or two. I run the current marine pros (60 degree lens ) on my 240 gallon and they are amazing lights.

Since your tank is not very tall, you should be able to grow softies, lps, sps in there. I will point out that the new current light that you have (aka ic loop version or 90 degree lens version ) probably isn’t strong enough to grow clams, or extremely high high light demanding sps. But, other than that you should be all set to go. Also a nice peace of mind is if you ever have any issues with the light current usa is absolutely amazing and very kind to their customers. :)

Have you decided on what kind of fish you want and or type of corals you want yet? Have you thought of maybe a mixed reef tank with a little bit of everything? They are a little harder but so pretty. (All of them are to me but love the mixed the most best of all worlds).

If you need any help please feel free to ask, always willing to help.

Sincerely
Sarah
Hi Sarah! Thanks for the tips. As for adding to the lady population, I'm more of a broad, but I'll roll with it :) I have noticed fewer women in this hobby, and was wondering why that was, but I'm happy to be here.

As for fish, I recently got a clown who looks like a DaVinci, but he was mixed in with the standard ocellaris, do I got him for $5. A week later I got a tail-spot Blenny (so like 3 days ago). Tank has been up about 3 weeks. So far, Amonia/trates/trites are holding steady at 0, and have been for a week. Going to hold off on any more fish for a month or so. The only other thing I want to add is a yasha goby with a candy stripe pistol shrimp (I blame Than). I also have a turbo snail and 3 blue-leg hermits, and they've all upgraded their shells already.

I picked up a Ricordia mushroom and a cabbage leather when I got the Blenny to see how it would go, and so far they're doing well. Good polyp extension on the leather, and the Ricordia is eating mysis. If those thrive fir a bit, I'll start adding some LPS. Looking at Duncan's, hammers, maybe some acans. I like things that are fleshy looking or have a lot of movement. I live Xenia, but have been warned they either take over or just don't thrive. Seems like there's little middle ground with them.
IMG_20180908_223149~2.jpeg
 
Wow. You are doing up right!!
Love the aquascape. I can't wait to see if progress!

And if you have setbacks this is a great community and let us know what is going on! Some people get embarrassed when they have a setback but don't be. (yea, had a big one recently and I'm still ashamed, so maybe I need to take my own advise, lol).

welcome!
Thanks! I'm so glad people like my aquascape. I obsessed over it and am glad I found these cool shapes of rock at my LFS. I wanted openness, and because it's s Penninsula tank, I wanted to build something that would look good from both sides.
 
Ok, it's been almost a month. Fish are happy. I thought I had a crab die, but it turns out it just molted and I confused his molt for a carcass.

Coral: Xenia, Hammer, Ricordia, Cabbage Leather.

Thought cabbage was dying, turned out it was molting. It molted twice and always looks bigger and better after each molt.

Hammer was looking like a bouquet of flaccid penises the first week I had it. I increased the flow with an additional powerhead, and he's much better. Params have been stable, nothing has died.

Had a zooplankton "bloom" but that has subsided. I may add more though. pic from today.
IMG_20180926_145852.jpeg
IMG_20180926_145923.jpeg
IMG_20180926_112010.jpeg
 
following along - I have just set up a nuvo 10 in August. Love the scape and coral selection too! I'd like to get a hammer or frogspawn myself. I have an Acan or maybe it is actually a micromusa in my tank and it is very colorful and has been sprouting new heads pretty fast, would recommend you try one too.
 
This tank is looking amazing, I love what you did with the aquascape!
 
I've been looking at the blastomussa as my next aquisition. I am going to have to put a pause on new livestock for a bit as I'm planning on moving in November. Anyone have tips on moving a nano reef?
 
I've been looking at the blastomussa as my next aquisition. I am going to have to put a pause on new livestock for a bit as I'm planning on moving in November. Anyone have tips on moving a nano reef?

I have moved several tanks in my life and it is never fun. Most important thing I have learned overall is always have more, new water ready than you think you will need.

For a nano specifically it depends on how far you are moving. Your tank is new enough I would just put it all in buckets of water except the substrate if it was not too far.
 
I have moved several tanks in my life and it is never fun. Most important thing I have learned overall is always have more, new water ready than you think you will need.

For a nano specifically it depends on how far you are moving. Your tank is new enough I would just put it all in buckets of water except the substrate if it was not too far.
It's about a 20-40 minute drive depending on Traffic. I'm planning on the tank being the very last thing I move. Up to now, all my corals have been placed on the same rock. I can put that one in a bucket, and may be able to just keep the others moist in transit.
 
That sounds perfect. Should not be any more than a drive from the LFS. Just a bigger haul. :)
 
Hey friends, the tank is almost two months old and I got a few new additions a couple of weeks ago. I got an Elegance, a Duncan, a couple of zoas and a rock flower anemone (which has already split?)

Also, are this hammer and this cabbage splitting?
IMG_20181028_143713.jpeg
IMG_20181028_143934.jpeg


IMG_20181028_144301.jpeg
IMG_20181028_144247.jpeg
IMG_20181025_204146.jpeg
IMG_20181014_211428.jpeg
IMG_20181025_204035.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top