Juan's 300+ Gallon Apartment Tank

After some considerations and consulting here in R2R about using my former's system UV, I'm giving it the green light.

The unit is an Emperor Aquatics 150Watt unit, pretty big but already located where it's going to be sitting within the stand.

Here some pictures with the DT on the back for size comparison, it's pretty big.




When it was stored, the sleeve and bulb broke, so I just ordered a new set, once it arrives I will set it up, pictures of this stage once I do this.
 
After some considerations and consulting here in R2R about using my former's system UV, I'm giving it the green light.

The unit is an Emperor Aquatics 150Watt unit, pretty big but already located where it's going to be sitting within the stand.

Here some pictures with the DT on the back for size comparison, it's pretty big.

When it was stored, the sleeve and bulb broke, so I just ordered a new set, once it arrives I will set it up, pictures of this stage once I do this.

That thing is huge but I am glad you are using one! Thumbs up!
 
Just read through this entire thread. All I can say is great job. Very well planned and executed. All the details are beautiful. I have a 300 that's been up for 7 months now. This will sure help on some things that I need to employ as well. Great job[emoji3]
 
Just read through this entire thread. All I can say is great job. Very well planned and executed. All the details are beautiful. I have a 300 that's been up for 7 months now. This will sure help on some things that I need to employ as well. Great job[emoji3]

Thank you very much, I really like posting as many pics as possible of my system so it may help others, great to know it gave you some ideas. :)

If you need any additional pic or detail, just let me know.
 
After some considerations and consulting here in R2R about using my former's system UV, I'm giving it the green light.

The unit is an Emperor Aquatics 150Watt unit, pretty big but already located where it's going to be sitting within the stand.

Here some pictures with the DT on the back for size comparison, it's pretty big.




When it was stored, the sleeve and bulb broke, so I just ordered a new set, once it arrives I will set it up, pictures of this stage once I do this.
Wow, after talking shop with you regarding UV, never in my mind did I imagine this was your tank that you'll be putting it on. Great work and thank you for the detailed account of its creation! [emoji106]
 
Awesome tank, I like your approach of taking everything nice and slow.
 
Wow, after talking shop with you regarding UV, never in my mind did I imagine this was your tank that you'll be putting it on. Great work and thank you for the detailed account of its creation! [emoji106]

Thank you very much, and thank you again for all your help with the UV :D

Awesome tank, I like your approach of taking everything nice and slow.

Thank you very much, :)
 
I introduced some Live sand from a friend's tank a little more than a week ago. Today after watching my green emerald crab eating I noticed that on the DT's glass, I have already some copepods, I was really happy about it.

Hopefully tomorrow, if no problem with my country's customs, my 2 16 ounce bags of Poseidon's Feast copepods will arrive, both of these bags are going into the fuge, I will lower more the flow within here so the copepods can establish in peace.

Also, My QT ammonia is beginning to come down, hopefully in a couple of weeks it will be cycled; probably on the weekend I will buy my first two fish and begin TTM with them, after this, one more week in QT and into the DT.
 
Today I received my order from AlgaeBarn, 2, 16 oz. 6,000+ Poseidon's feast copepods.

I was a little afraid ordering these, as my country customs halts any livestock without proper paperwork, good thing that the small amount wasn't enough for them to stop the order.

I was really happy how AlgaeBarn send their products, insulated bag with a Coldpack inside as well. What I saw in the bags with a flashlight, these critters were moving around.



Closed the valve that feeds the fuge, and poured both bags inside there, AlgaeBarns recommends 15 minutes for copepods to settle in, I'll wait at least a couple of hours then kick start the fuge again.
 
Today my Quartz Sleeve and Light tube arrived, set them up and placed the UV in place.

To feed the UV, I will use the return pump, and the connection will be directly on the return pipe so all water that goes to the DT will be treated. Good thing about this connection is that I can decide how much water will go through the UV by playing with the gate valve in the middle of this connet.

I will disconnect the manifold from the return pipe and use a Reef Octopus 5000 to feed it.

Here is a quick pick of the UV in place, hopefully by tomorrow I will have it working.


More pics of the finished work soon.
 
This made my day! Beautiful design.
 
Just finished powering through all 6 pages. What a wonderful build! And you've given me some excellent ideas as well -- I needed a new set of containers for my dosing liquids; thanks to you I don't anymore! I'll be following with great interest.
 
Just finished powering through all 6 pages. What a wonderful build! And you've given me some excellent ideas as well -- I needed a new set of containers for my dosing liquids; thanks to you I don't anymore! I'll be following with great interest.

Thank you very much, glad I could help! Glad to have you on board.
 
For QT'ing I will go with TTM, still a little scared as I have had some really bad experiences in the past when using a QT.

Here is the 1st TTM QT setup. In the first pick I had a powerhead to stir salt last night, and the second one the whole setup ready to receive its first inhabitants.



I even got the same colander that is shown in HumbleFish TTM article :)

BTW, great article, recommended for everyone, here is the link: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/


And here, my first fish :D, pair of Onyx Clownfish, Really excited, their names are Ying and Yang.

First, temp climating:



After dripping in bucket, they went into their 3 day home:


I gave them a little pinch of food (Don't want to spike ammonia) and both ate well. The LFS had them for a month.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top