I’m a North Carolina reefer!!! Im in the charlotte area. I feel like there’s a huge reef community here.
As far as live sales go, they are not for everyone. However, I really enjoy them.
First and foremost, I get analysis paralysis in a store. I rarely end up buying anything cause I just can’t choose. Live sales give me an opportunity to look at corals independently. Then if I’m disappointed that I missed a coral, I put it on my “to buy” list. Then I have an idea of what to focus on when I go to a lfs or frag swap.
Also I love the community engagement that occurs. That’s what really drew me in so deeply to the hobby. There’s a lot of silliness that goes on, and stupid dad jokes, but that’s how I’ve met many of my Reefing friends. We’re all a tad nerdy and it’s great to tell a really lame joke that a reefer gets and finds hilarious. It’s hard to make friends as an adult, but live sale shenanigans make me feel like I have a community.
I have learned a lot during live sales. When people are asking questions about coral care and their own tanks, you get to hear many opinions at once. And because of the silliness, people seem more inclined to help and less mean spirited or critical. That’s been my experience anyway. So, long live live sales!!!